Setting and Participants
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- The role of falls in fracture prediction.Curr Osteoporos Rep. 2011; 9: 116-121
- Risk assessment after hip fracture: Check the “healthy” leg!.Z Gerontol Geriatr. 2011; 44: 375-380
- Recurrent and injurious falls in the year following hip fracture: A prospective study of incidence and risk factors from the Sarcopenia and Hip Fracture study.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2009; 64: 599-609
- Effect of high-dosage cholecalciferol and extended physiotherapy on complications after hip fracture: A randomized controlled trial.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 813-820
- Hospital readmissions after hospital discharge for hip fracture: Surgical and nonsurgical causes and effect on outcomes.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: 399-403
- Falls, injuries due to falls, and the risk of admission to a nursing home.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 1279-1284
- Revisit, subsequent hospitalization, recurrent fall, and death within 6 months after a fall among elderly emergency department patients.Ann Emerg Med. 2017; 70: 516-521.e2
- Discriminative ability and predictive validity of the Timed Up and Go test in identifying older people who fall: Systematic review and meta-analysis.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013; 61: 202-208
- Is the Timed Up and Go test a useful predictor of risk of falls in community dwelling older adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Geriatr. 2014; 14: 14
- Psychometric properties of Timed Up and Go in elderly people: A systematic review.Phys Occup Ther Geriatr. 2011; 29: 102-125
- Mobility and muscle strength together are more strongly correlated with falls in suburb-dwelling older Chinese.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 25420
- Diabetes, arthritis, urinary incontinence, poor self-rated health, higher body mass index and lower handgrip strength are associated with falls among community-dwelling middle-aged and older adults: Pooled analyses from two cross-sectional Malaysian datasets.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2019; 19: 798-803
- Estimation of physical performance and measurements of habitual physical activity may capture men with high risk to fall—Data from the Mr Os Sweden cohort.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2009; 49: e72-e76
- Physical and functional factors in activities of daily living that predict falls in community-dwelling older women.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2011; 11: 348-357
- Which neuromuscular or cognitive test is the optimal screening tool to predict falls in frail community-dwelling older people?.Gerontology. 2009; 55: 532-538
- Comparative study of four physical performance measures as predictors of death, incident disability, and falls in unselected older persons: The insufficienza Cardiaca negli Anziani Residenti a Dicomano Study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015; 63: 136-141
- Prediction of risk of falling, physical disability, and frailty by rate of decline in grip strength: The Women's Health and Aging Study.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 1119-1121
- Knee muscle strength and visual acuity are the most important modifiable predictors of falls in patients after hip fracture surgery: A prospective study.Calcif Tissue Int. 2013; 92: 287-295
- “Mini-Mental State”: A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician.J Psychiatr Res. 1975; 12: 189-198
- The Timed “Up & Go”: A test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1991; 39: 142-148
- Handgrip strength is an independent predictor of functional outcome in hip-fracture women: A prospective study with 6-month follow-up.Medicine (Baltimore). 2015; 94: e542
- Reliability of hand-held dynamometry in assessment of knee extensor strength after hip fracture.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 83: 813-818
- Development of the common data base for the FICSIT trials.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1993; 41: 297-308
- Which fall ascertainment method captures most falls in pre-frail and frail seniors?.Am J Epidemiol. 2018; 187: 2243-2251
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: Development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Analytical review: Focus on fall screening assessments.PM R. 2013; 5: 609-621
- Summary of the Updated American Geriatrics Society/British Geriatrics Society clinical practice guideline for prevention of falls in older persons.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011; 59: 148-157
- Influence of fall environment and fall direction on risk of injury among pre-frail and frail adults.Osteoporos Int. 2019; 30: 2205-2215
P.W. and P.O.C-B. are co–first authors.
This study was supported by Swiss National Foundations (NFP-53) (H.A.B-F. and R.T.), Vontobel Foundation (H.A.B-F.), Baugarten Foundation (H.A.B-F.), and Swiss National foundations professorship grant PP00B-114864 (H A.B-F.). The funding sources had no influence on the study design, data collection, data analyses and interpretation of results, the writing of this report, or decision to submit this manuscript for publication.
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.