Setting and Participants
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Sarcopenia: European consensus on definition and diagnosis: Report of the European Working Group on Sarcopenia in Older People.Age Ageing. 2010; 39: 412-423
- Sarcopenia: Revised European consensus on definition and diagnosis.Age Ageing. 2019; 48: 16-31
- The FNIH sarcopenia project: Rationale, study description, conference recommendations, and final estimates.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2014; 69: 547-558
- Sarcopenia with limited mobility: An international consensus.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2011; 12: 403-409
- Sarcopenia definition: The position statements of the Sarcopenia Definitions and Outcomes Consortium.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020; 68: 1410-1418
- Epidemiology of sarcopenia among the elderly in New Mexico.Am J Epidemiol. 1998; 147: 755-763
- Establishing the link between lean mass and grip strength cut-points with mobility disability and other health outcomes: Proceedings of the Sarcopenia Definition and Outcomes Consortium Conference.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2020; 75: 1317-1323
- Establishing an operational definition of sarcopenia in Australia and New Zealand: Delphi method Based Consensus Statement.J Nutr Health Aging. 2019; 12: 105-110
- Strong relation between muscle mass determined by D3-creatine dilution, physical performance and incidence of falls and mobility limitations in a prospective cohort of older men.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2019; 74: 844-852
- Factor analysis to determine relative contributions of strength, physical performance, body composition and muscle mass to disability and mobility disability outcomes in older men. Paper presented at: The 2019 Western Health Research and Best Care Conference; October 14-18.Australia, Melbourne2019
- Overview of recruitment for the Osteoporotic Fractures in Men Study (MrOS).Contemp Clin Trials. 2005; 26: 557-568
- Design and baseline characteristics of the osteoporotic fractures in men (MrOS) study—a large observational study of the determinants of fracture in older men.Contemp Clin Trials. 2005; 26: 569-585
- Dilution of oral D(3)-creatine to measure creatine pool size and estimate skeletal muscle mass: Development of a correction algorithm.J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2018; 9: 540-546
- Mortality risk in older men associated with changes in weight, lean mass, and fat mass.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011; 59: 233-240
- Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Research Group. Physical performance and risk of hip fractures in older men.J Bone Miner Res. 2008; 23: 1037-1044
- Lower extremity function in persons over the age of 70 years as a predictor of subsequent disability.N Engl J Med. 1995; 332: 556-561
- The Modified Mini-Mental State (3MS) examination.J Clin Psychiatry. 1987; 48: 314-318
- The Physical Activity Scale for the Elderly (PASE): Development and evaluation.J Clin Epidemiol. 1993; 46: 153-162
- Cut points for clinical muscle weakness among older Americans.Am J Prev Med. 2017; 53: 63-69
- D3-Creatine dilution to assess muscle mass.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2019; 74: 842-843
- Falls, sarcopenia, and growth in early life: Findings from the Hertfordshire cohort study.Am J Epidemiol. 2006; 164: 665-671
- The SF-36: A simple, effective measure of mobility-disability for epidemiological studies.J Nutr Health Ageing. 2009; 13: 57-62
- Hand-grip strength cut points to screen older persons at risk for mobility limitation.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58: 1721-1726
- Prognostic value of grip strength: Findings from the Prospective Urban Rural Epidemiology (PURE) study.Lancet. 2015; 386: 266-273
- Objectively measured physical capability levels and mortality: Systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ. 2010; 341: c4467
- Longitudinal associations between body composition, sarcopenic obesity and outcomes of frailty, disability, institutionalisation and mortality in community-dwelling older men: The Concord Health and Ageing in Men Project.Age Ageing. 2017; 46: 413-420
- Adiposity, muscle mass, and muscle strength in relation to functional decline in older persons.Epidemiol Rev. 2013; 35: 51-65
- Dynapenia and aging: An update.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2012; 67: 28-40
- D3-Creatine dilution and the importance of accuracy in the assessment of skeletal muscle mass.J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2019; 10: 14-21
- International Clinical Practice Guidelines for Sarcopenia (ICFSR): Screening, diagnosis and management.J Nutr Health Aging. 2018; 22: 1148
The Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Study is supported by National Institutes of Health funding. The following institutes provide support: the National Institute on Aging (NIA), the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS), the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS), and NIH Roadmap for Medical Research under the following grant numbers: U01AG027810, U01 AG042124, U01 AG042139, U01 AG042140, U01 AG042143, U01 AG042145, U01 AG042168, U01 AR066160, and UL1 TR000128. Funding for the D3Cr muscle mass measure was provided by NIAMS (grant number R01 AR065268). GlaxoSmithKline provided in-kind support by providing the D3-creatine dose and analysis of urine samples.
J.Z. was supported to undertake this research by the Australian and New Zealand Society for Geriatric Medicine Travelling Scholarship, the Australian Institute for Musculoskeletal Science, and was also supported by an Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarship.
S.B.-O. is supported by a National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC, of Australia) Career Development Fellowship (GNT1107510, 2016-2019) and a Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences (MDHS) Faculty Research Fellowship, University of Melbourne (2020).
D.S. is supported by a National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Australia RD Wright Biomedical Career Development Fellowship (GNT1123014) and a NHMRC Australia Investigator Grant (GNT1174886).
Conflicts of interest: T.B. reports salary support from grants from the National Institutes of Health and Merck & Co.
P.C. receives institutional research funding from Abbott and Nestle for work outside of this paper. P.C. is a consultant for BioAge Labs also for work outside of this paper.