To describe the prevalence of sarcopenia in a large group of community-dwelling older adults using the Asian Working Group for Sarcopenia (AWGS) 2019 definition and algorithm.
Cross-sectional data analysis of a cohort study.
The Nationwide Korean Frailty and Aging Cohort Study (KFACS).
A total of 2123 ambulatory community-dwelling older adults, aged 70 to 84 years (mean, 75.9 ± 3.9 years; 49.5% women) were enrolled in the KFACS.
Appendicular skeletal muscle mass was measured by dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry. Physical function was assessed by handgrip strength, usual gait speed, the 5-times-sit-to-stand test, the timed up-and-go test, and the Short Physical Performance Battery. In a case-finding assessment, screening for sarcopenia was performed using the calf circumference (CC), SARC-F questionnaire, and SARC-F combined with CC (SARC-CalF).
According to the AWGS 2019 algorithm, 43.5%, 7.5%, and 26.0% of the subjects in the whole study sample were classified as those at risk for sarcopenia according to CC, SARC-F, and SARC-CalF, respectively. The prevalence rates of possible sarcopenia using 3 screening tools for case-finding and muscle strength or physical performance tests according to the AWGS 2019 diagnostic algorithm were 20.1% in men and 29.2% in women. The prevalence rates of sarcopenia, when defined as low muscle mass plus low handgrip strength and/or slow gait speed, were significantly higher according to the AWGS 2019 (21.3% in men and 13.8% in women) than the AWGS 2014 (10.3% in men and 8.1% in women) definitions. The prevalence of severe sarcopenia was 6.4% in men and 3.2% in women.
The results of our study suggest that the use of CC and SARC-CalF to screen for possible sarcopenia may be more suited than using the SARC-F questionnaire alone according to the AWGS 2019 diagnostic algorithm in community-dwelling adults aged 70 to 84 years. The prevalence of sarcopenia was significantly higher according to the AWGS 2019 than AWGS 2014 criteria.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Sarcopenia.Lancet. 2019; 393: 2636-2646
- Sarcopenia: European consensus on definition and diagnosis: Report of the European Working group on sarcopenia in older people.Age Ageing. 2010; 39: 412-423
- Sarcopenia in Asia: Consensus report of the Asian Working group for sarcopenia.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014; 15: 95-101
- Sarcopenia: An undiagnosed condition in older adults. Current consensus definition: Prevalence, etiology, and consequences. International Working Group on Sarcopenia.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2011; 12: 249-256
- The FNIH Sarcopenia Project: Rationale, study description, conference recommendations, and final estimates.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2014; 69: 547-558
- Sarcopenia: Revised European consensus on definition and diagnosis.Age Ageing. 2019; 48: 16-31
- Asian Working group for sarcopenia: 2019 consensus update on sarcopenia diagnosis and treatment.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2020; 21: 300-307.e2
- Starting construction of frailty cohort for elderly and intervention study.Ann Geriatr Med Res. 2016; 20: 114-117
- Effects of metal implants on whole-body dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry measurements of bone mineral content and body composition.Can Assoc Radiol J. 2003; 54 (quiz 270–301): 305-309
- SARC-F: A simple questionnaire to rapidly diagnose sarcopenia.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: 531-532
- Editorial: Screening for sarcopenia.J Nutr Health Aging. 2019; 23: 768-770
- Validation of the Korean version of the SARC-F questionnaire to assess sarcopenia: Korean frailty and aging cohort study.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 40-45.e1
- Enhancing SARC-F: Improving sarcopenia screening in the clinical practice.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2016; 17: 1136-1141
- Cutpoints for low appendicular lean mass that identify older adults with clinically significant weakness.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2014; 69: 567-575
- Epidemiology of sarcopenia among the elderly in New Mexico.Am J Epidemiol. 1998; 147: 755-763
- Muscular grip strength normative values for a Korean population from the Korea national health and Nutrition Examination survey, 2014-2015.PLoS One. 2018; 13: e0201275
- A short physical performance battery assessing lower extremity function: Association with self-reported disability and prediction of mortality and nursing home admission.J Gerontol. 1994; 49: M85-M94
- Lower extremity function and subsequent disability: Consistency across studies, predictive models, and value of gait speed alone compared with the short physical performance battery.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2000; 55: M221-M231
- The timed “up & go”: A test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1991; 39: 142-148
- Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of the Korean version of the EQ-5D in patients with rheumatic diseases.Qual Life Res. 2005; 14: 1401-1406
- Screening for undernutrition in geriatric practice: Developing the short-form Mini-Nutritional assessment (MNA-SF).J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001; 56: M366-M372
- Development of the Korean version of the Consortium to Establish a Registry for Alzheimer's Disease Assessment Packet (CERAD-K): clinical and neuropsychological assessment batteries.J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2002; 57: P47-P53
- Prevalence of and interventions for sarcopenia in ageing adults: A systematic review. Report of the international sarcopenia Initiative (EWGSOP and IWGS).Age Ageing. 2014; 43: 748-759
- The prevalence of sarcopenia in community-dwelling older adults, an exploration of differences between studies and within definitions: A systematic review and meta-analyses.Age Ageing. 2019; 48: 48-56
- International clinical practice guidelines for sarcopenia (ICFSR): Screening, diagnosis and management.J Nutr Health Aging. 2018; 22: 1148-1161
- Screening sarcopenia in community-dwelling older adults: SARC-F vs SARC-F combined with calf circumference (SARC-CalF).J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 277.e271-277.e278
- Normative data of handgrip strength in 26344 older adults—A pooled dataset from eight cohorts in Asia.J Nutr Health Aging. 2020; 24: 125-126
Published online: May 05, 2020
This research was supported by a grant from the Korea Health Technology R&D Project through the Korean Health Industry Development Institute, funded by the Ministry of Health and Welfare, Republic of Korea (grant number: HI15C3153).
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
© 2020 AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.