We have read with great interest the recently published consensus update of Asian Working Group for Sarcopenia about the diagnosis and treatment of sarcopenia.
1We congratulate them for defining their diagnostic algorithm. Although we agree on selecting less stringent cut-off values for physical performance tests [ie, ≥12 seconds for chair stand test (CST) and <1.0 m/s for usual gait speed] compared with those of the European Working Group on Sarcopenia in Older People,
- Chen L.K.
- Woo J.
- Assantachai P.
- et al.
Asian Working Group for sarcopenia: 2019 consensus update on sarcopenia diagnosis and treatment.
J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2020; 21 (300–307.e2)
2we have a few suggestions on the following issues.
- Cruz-Jentoft A.J.
- Bahat G.
- Bauer J.
- et al.
Sarcopenia: Revised European consensus on definition and diagnosis [published correction appears in Age Ageing].
Age Ageing. 2019; 48: 16-31
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Asian Working Group for sarcopenia: 2019 consensus update on sarcopenia diagnosis and treatment.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2020; 21 (300–307.e2)
- Sarcopenia: Revised European consensus on definition and diagnosis [published correction appears in Age Ageing].Age Ageing. 2019; 48: 16-31
- Skeletal muscle mass and distribution in 468 men and women aged 18–88 year.J Appl Physiol (1985). 2000; 89: 81-88
- Regional and total muscle mass, muscle strength and physical performance: The potential use of ultrasound imaging for sarcopenia.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2019; 83: 55-60
- Age-related site-specific muscle wasting of upper and lower extremities and trunk in Japanese men and women.Age (Dordr). 2014; 36: 813-821
- Sarcopenia is not ‘love’: You have to look where you lost it!.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2020; ([published online])
- A comparison of leg power and leg strength within the InCHIANTI study: Which influences mobility more?.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2003; 58: 728-733
- White paper: “Walking speed: The sixth vital sign”.J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2009; 32: 46-49
Kara M, Kaymak B, Ata AM, et al. Sonographic Thigh Adjustment Ratio - STAR a golden formula for the diagnosis of sarcopenia. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2020.
- Sarcopenia: European consensus on definition and diagnosis: Report of the European Working Group on sarcopenia in older people.Age Ageing. 2010; 39: 412-423
This research did not receive any funding from agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
© 2020 Published by Elsevier Inc. on behalf of AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Asian Working Group for Sarcopenia Response to the Emphasis on Anterior Thigh Muscle Mass in Sarcopenia DiagnosisJournal of the American Medical Directors AssociationVol. 21Issue 8
- PreviewWe thank you for the opportunity to respond to the issues raised in the letter by Kara et al and thank them for their valuable comments on the Asian Working Group for Sarcopenia (AWGS) consensus for sarcopenia diagnosis. Before responding to the comments, we want to address some consensus of AWGS: (1) AWGS wants to make evidence-based recommendations, so only published studies in Asian countries were included; (2) AWGS defined sarcopenia as an age-related condition, so recommendations were limited to people older than 60 or 65 years old; and (3) younger people with sarcopenia were recommended to search for potential underlying pathoetiology instead of only sarcopenia.