Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Antibiotic resistance threats in the United States, 2013. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/threat-report-2013/pdf/ar-threats-2013-508.pdf. Accessed November 13, 2013.
Improving the Financial Accountability of Nursing Facilities. Available at: https://www.kff.org/medicaid/report/improving-the-financial-accountability-of-nursing-facilities/. Accessed June 1, 2020.
- Vital signs: Estimated effects of a coordinated approach for action to reduce antibiotic-resistant infections in health care facilities - United States.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015; 64: 826-831
- Targeted versus universal decolonization to prevent ICU infection.N Eng J Med. 2013; 368: 2255-2265
- Infection prevention and control assessment tool for long-term care facilities.(Available at:)http://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/pdf/ICAR/LTCF.pdfDate accessed: December 4, 2017
- SHEA/APIC Guideline: Infection prevention and control in the long-term care facility.Am J Infect Control. 2008; 36: 504-535
Centers for Medicaid & Medicare Services. State operations manual—Guidance to surveyors for long term care facilities. Accessed June 26, 2019.
- Impact of delays between Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute and Food and Drug Administration revisions of interpretive criteria for carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae.J Clin Microbiol. 2016; 54: 2757-2762
- The role of the healthcare environment in the spread of multidrug-resistant organisms: Update on current best practices for containment.Ther Adv Infect Dis. 2014; 2: 79-90
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus burden in nursing homes associated with environmental contamination of common areas.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60: 1012-1018
- Multiple antibiotic-resistant bacteria in long-term-care facilities: An emerging problem in the practice of infectious diseases.Clin Infect Dis. 2000; 31: 1414-1422
- Nursing home characteristics associated with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) burden and transmission.BMC Infect Dis. 2012; 12: 269
- Infection management and multidrug-resistant organisms in nursing home residents with advanced dementia.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 1660-1667
- Prevalence of and factors associated with multidrug resistant organism (MDRO) colonization in 3 nursing homes.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016; 37: 1485-1488
- Prevalence of multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacteria among nursing home residents: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 512-518
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: colonization and infection in a long-term care facility.Ann Intern Med. 1991; 115: 417-422
- Colonization and infection with antibiotic-resistant bacteria in a long-term care facility.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1994; 42: 1062-1069
- Comparison of routine glove use and contact-isolation precautions to prevent transmission of multidrug-resistant bacteria in a long-term care facility.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52: 2003-2009
- Colonization of residents and staff of a long-term-care facility and adjacent acute-care hospital geriatric unit by multiresistant bacteria.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2010; 16: 934-944
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization in a long-term-care facility.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1992; 40: 213-217
- Epidemiology of Staphylococcus aureus colonization in nursing home residents.Clin Infect Dis. 2008; 46: 1368-1373
- Patients in long-term care facilities: A reservoir for vancomycin-resistant enterococci.Clin Infect Dis. 2002; 34: 441-446
- Comparison of two commercially available selective media to screen for vancomycin-resistant enterococci.Am J Clin Pathol. 2002; 117: 152-155
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med Care. 1998; 36: 8-27
- Colonization of skilled-care facility residents with antimicrobial-resistant pathogens.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001; 49: 270-276
- Transfer from high-acuity long-term care facilities is associated with carriage of Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae: A multihospital study.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012; 33: 1193-1199
- Prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and Acinetobacter baumannii in a long-term acute care facility.Am J Infect Control. 2008; 36: 468-471
- Device-associated infection rates, device utilization, and antimicrobial resistance in long-term acute care hospitals reporting to the National Healthcare Safety Network, 2010.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012; 33: 993-1000
- Natural history of colonization with gram-negative multidrug-resistant organisms among hospitalized patients.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 330-337
- Quantifying the impact of extranasal testing of body sites for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization at the time of hospital or intensive care unit admission.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2013; 34: 161-170
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
This project was funded by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) via grant R01HS024286 (PI: Huang). The views expressed are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.