The contemporary long-term care provider and interdisciplinary team are well aware of the recent focus on antibiotic use in their settings. Regulatory changes implemented by Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services beginning in 2016 have required long-term care settings to look at antibiotic use in a more comprehensive way and to align their programs with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Core Elements for Antibiotic Stewardship for Nursing Homes. As long-term care settings have worked to develop antibiotic stewardship programs over the past several years, there have been many discoveries about the processes involved in gathering data about antibiotic use and associated attributes, including dose, duration of therapy, and indication for use. Attempts to align these attributes with appropriateness may require integration of data elements from pharmacy records and the individual resident's electronic medical record. In this article, we systematically discuss relevant antibiotic use metrics, sources of antibiotic use data, collecting and reporting antibiotic use data, concluding with implications for policy, practice, and research. Only by measuring antibiotic use can we start to assess the effectiveness of antibiotic stewardship program to induce meaningful change in the care of residents in long-term care.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- MDS 3.0 Frequency Report | CMS.(Available at:)https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Computer-Data-and-Systems/Minimum-Data-Set-3–0-Public-ReportsDate accessed: March 9, 2020
- Medicare and Medicaid Programs; Reform of Requirements for Long-Term Care Facilities. Federal Register.(Available at:)https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/10/04/2016-23503/medicare-and-medicaid-programs-reform-of-requirements-for-long-term-care-facilitiesDate: 2016Date accessed: November 8, 2016
- The Core Elements of Antibiotic Stewardship for Nursing Homes | Nursing Homes and Assisted Living (LTC) | CDC.(Available at:)http://www.cdc.gov/longtermcare/prevention/antibiotic-stewardship.htmlDate accessed: June 25, 2016
- Template for an antibiotic stewardship policy for post-acute and long-term care settings.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017; 18: 913-920
- Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America guidelines for developing an institutional program to enhance antimicrobial stewardship.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44: 159-177
- Toolkit 2: Monitor and Sustain Stewardship.(Available at:)http://www.ahrq.gov/nhguide/toolkits/implement-monitor-sustain-program/toolkit2-monitor-sustain-program.htmlDate accessed: June 2, 2020
- For Nursing Homes | Rochester Patient Safety Collaborative.(Available at:)http://www.rochesterpatientsafety.com/index.cfm?Page=For Nursing HomesDate accessed: June 2, 2020
- WHOCC - Definition and general considerations.(Available at:)https://www.whocc.no/ddd/definition_and_general_considera/Date accessed: June 2, 2020
- Measurement of antibiotic consumption: A practical guide to the use of the anatomical therapeutic chemical classification and defined daily dose system methodology in Canada.Can J Infect Dis. 2004; 15: 29-35
- Measurement of adult antibacterial drug use in 130 US hospitals: Comparison of defined daily dose and days of therapy.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44: 664-670
- Optimizing antibiotic stewardship in nursing homes: A narrative review and recommendations for improvement.Drugs Aging. 2015; 32: 699-716
- Management of adults with hospital-acquired and ventilator-associated pneumonia: 2016 clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the American Thoracic Society.Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 63: e61-e111
- Diagnosis and treatment of adults with community-acquired pneumonia. An official clinical practice guideline of the American Thoracic Society and Infectious Diseases Society of America.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2019; 200: e45-e67
- Diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of urinary tract infections in post-acute and long-term care settings: A consensus statement from AMDA's Infection Advisory Subcommittee.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2020; 21: 12-24.e2
- Practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of skin and soft-tissue infections.Clin Infect Dis. 2005; 41: 1373-1406
- Potential utility of pharmacy data to measure antibiotic use in nursing homes.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2019; 40: 819-820
- Innovative methods to summarize nursing home antibiotic data.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2019; 40: 1210-1211
- Implementation of electronic health records in U.S. nursing homes.Comput Inform Nurs. 2017; 35: 417-424
- QAPI Resources | CMS.(Available at:)https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Provider-Enrollment-and-Certification/QAPI/qapiresourcesDate accessed: June 2, 2020
- Medication use evaluation: Pharmacist rubric for performance improvement.Pharmacother. 2014; 34: 5S-13S
- Appropriateness of fluoroquinolone prescribing in the long-term care setting.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020; 68: 661-663
- Medicare State Operations Manual, Appendix PP: Interpretive Guidelines for Long-Term Care Facilities.(Available at:)https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Guidance/Manuals/Internet-Only-Manuals-IOMs-Items/CMS1201984.htmlDate accessed: March 3, 2020
- Long-term Care Facilities | NHSN | CDC.(Available at:)http://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/LTC/index.htmlDate accessed: July 17, 2016
Published online: July 28, 2020
The authors declare no conflicts of interest. Dr. Davidson discloses research funding from Sunovion, Seqirus, and Sanofi. Dr. Jump discloses research funding from Pfizer and Merck; she has served on advisory boards for Pfizer and Roche.
© 2020 AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
September 29, 2020
September 2020 Issue
Featuring Dr. Philip Sloane, Dr. Mallory Brown; Recorded: September 16, 2020.