Setting and Participants
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Post-Acute Care Reform—Beyond the ACA.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 689-691
- Innovation In Medicare And Medicaid Will Be Central To Health Reform’s Success | Health Affairs [Internet].(Available at:)https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/full/10.1377/hlthaff.2010.0442Date accessed: January 6, 2020
- Identifying potentially preventable readmissions.Health Care Financ Rev. 2008; 30: 75-91
- When new Medicare payment systems collide.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 1706-1709
- Hospital readmission penalties: Coming soon to a nursing home near you!.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016; 64: 614-618
- Interventions aimed at reducing problems in adult patients discharged from hospital to home: A systematic meta-review.BMC Health Serv Res. 2007; 7: 47
- Perceived costs of care influence post-acute care choices by clinicians, patients, and caregivers.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019; 67: 703-710
- Evaluating the quality of patient decision-making regarding post-acute care.J Gen Intern Med. 2018; 33: 678-684
- How hospital clinicians select patients for skilled nursing facilities.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017; 65: 2466-2472
- Cognitive biases influence decision-making regarding post-acute care in a skilled nursing facility.J Hosp Med. 2020 01; 15: 22-27
Burke REM, Canamucio AM, Glorioso TJM, et al. Variability in transitional care outcomes across hospitals discharging veterans to skilled nursing facilities. Med Care 2020;58:301-306.
- Role in managing “the fit” of older adults in skilled nursing facilities.J Gerontol Nurs. 2017; 43: 11-20
- Variability in skilled nursing facility screening and admission processes: Implications for value-based purchasing. Health Care Manage Rev [Internet]. 2019 Dec 17; Published head of Print.(Available at:)https://journals.lww.com/hcmrjournal/Abstract/publishahead/Variability_in_skilled_nursing_facility_screening.99689.aspxDate accessed: January 6, 2020
- What distinguishes top-performing hospitals in acute myocardial infarction mortality rates?.Ann Intern Med. 2011; 154: 384-390
- Influencing organisational culture to improve hospital performance in care of patients with acute myocardial infarction: A mixed-methods intervention study.BMJ Qual Saf. 2018; 27: 207-217
- Understanding the conditions for improvement: Research to discover which context influences affect improvement success.BMJ Qual Saf. 2011; 20: i18-i23
- Assessing the Evidence for Context-Sensitive Effectiveness and Safety of Patient Safety Practices: Developing Criteria.(Available at:)http://psnet.ahrq.gov/issue/assessing-evidence-context-sensitive-effectiveness-and-safety-patient-safety-practicesDate accessed: March 11, 2020
- Quick and dirty? A systematic review of the use of rapid ethnographies in healthcare organisation and delivery.BMJ Qual Saf. 2018; 27: 321-330
- Transitional care outcomes in Veterans receiving post-acute care in a skilled nursing facility.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019; 67: 1820-1826
- Variability in Transitional Care Outcomes Across Hospitals Discharging Veterans to Skilled Nursing Facilities: Medical Care [Internet].(Available at:)https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/wk/mcar/2020/00000058/00000004/art00003Date accessed: January 28, 2020
- Moving beyond readmission penalties: creating an ideal process to improve transitional care.J Hosp Med Off Publ Soc Hosp Med. 2013; 8: 102-109
- Demonstrating rigor using thematic analysis: A hybrid approach of inductive and deductive coding and theme development.Int J Qual Methods. 2006; 5: 80-92
- The influence of contextual factors on healthcare quality improvement initiatives: What works, for whom and in what setting? Protocol for a realist review. Syst Rev [Internet]. 2017 Aug 23.(Available at:)https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5568400/Date accessed: January 7, 2020
- Role of context in care transition interventions for medically complex older adults: A realist synthesis protocol. BMJ Open [Internet]. 2015 Nov 19.(Available at:)https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4654392/Date accessed: January 7, 2020
- Critical analysis of strategies for determining rigor in qualitative inquiry.Qual Health Res. 2015; 25: 1212-1222
- Find a nursing home.(Available at:)https://www.medicare.gov/nursinghomecompare/search.html?Date accessed: June 1, 2020
- Qualitative data analysis for health services research: Developing taxonomy, themes, and theory.Health Serv Res. 2007; 42: 1758-1772
- A mixed methods study examining teamwork shared mental models of interprofessional teams during hospital discharge. BMJ Qual Saf [Internet]. 2019 Nov 27.(Available at:)https://qualitysafety.bmj.com/content/early/2019/11/27/bmjqs-2019-009716Date accessed: March 4, 2020
- Potentially avoidable readmissions of patients discharged to post-acute care: Perspectives of hospital and skilled nursing facility staff.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017; 65: 269-276
- What works in readmissions reduction: How hospitals improve performance.Med Care. 2016; 54: 600-607
- Patient safety strategies targeted at diagnostic errors: A systematic review.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 158: 381-389
- Measurement is essential for improving diagnosis and reducing diagnostic error: A report from the Institute of medicine.JAMA. 2015; 314: 2501-2502
- Avoidability of hospital transfers of nursing home residents: Perspectives of frontline staff.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011; 59: 1665-1672
- Appropriateness of the decision to transfer nursing facility residents to the hospital.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2000; 48: 154-163
- Lessons learned from root cause analyses of transfers of skilled nursing facility (SNF) patients to acute hospitals: Transfers rated as preventable versus nonpreventable by SNF staff.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2016; 17: 596-601
- Enhancing patient safety through teamwork training.J Healthc Risk Manag. 2001; 21: 61-69
This work was supported by funding from the National Institute on Aging, VA HSR&D Career Development Award and the National Institute of Health Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
The funding agency had no role in this study other than providing financial support for study activities. They did not participate in the design, methods, and recruitment of participants, data analysis, or preparation of the article. The views reported are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the National Institutes of Health or VA.
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.