Guidelines for blood pressure (BP) treatment initiation and targets have been developed based on evidence from randomized controlled trials (RCTs). A definition of 140/90 for older adults is generally adopted.
1Recent reviews suggested a target of 130/80 based on RCTs.
- Kotchen T.A.
Developing hypertension guidelines: An evolving process.
Am J Hypertens. 2014; 27: 765-772
2Optimal control of BP reduces risk of cardiovascular disease morbidity and mortality;
- Cushman W.C.
- Johnson K.C.
The 2017 U.S. Hypertension Guidelines: What is important for older adults?.
J Am Geriatr Soc. 2018; 66: 1062-1067
3however, few RCTs include older adults that are representative of those living in the community with multimorbidity, frailty, cognitive impairment, or varying degrees of dependency in the long-term care setting.
- Petersen E.D.
- Gaziano M.
- Greenland P.
Recommendations for treating hypertension: What are the right goals and purposes?.
JAMA. 2014; 311: 474-476
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Developing hypertension guidelines: An evolving process.Am J Hypertens. 2014; 27: 765-772
- The 2017 U.S. Hypertension Guidelines: What is important for older adults?.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2018; 66: 1062-1067
- Recommendations for treating hypertension: What are the right goals and purposes?.JAMA. 2014; 311: 474-476
- Variability in repeated blood pressure measurements as a marker of frailty.J Nutr Health Aging. 2018; 22: 1122-1127
- Geriatric syndromes, multimorbidity, and disability overlap and increase health care use among older Chinese.BMC Geriatr. 2018; 18: 147
- A simple frailty questionnaire (FRAIL) predicts outcomes in middle aged African Americans.J Nutr Health Aging. 2012; 16: 601-608
Published online: September 15, 2020
© 2020 AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.