Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Global status report on alcohol and health 2018.World Health Organization, Geneva2018: 450
- 2018 National Survey of Drug Use and Health (NSDUH).(Available at:)https://www.samhsa.gov/data/release/2018-national-survey-drug-use-and-health-nsduh-releasesDate accessed: August 4, 2020
- Drinking in later life: A systematic review and thematic synthesis of qualitative studies exploring older people's perceptions and experiences.Age Ageing. 2019; 48: 134-146
- One last pleasure? Alcohol use among elderly people in nursing homes.Health Soc Work. 2002; 27: 193-203
- Association of low to moderate alcohol drinking with cognitive functions from middle to older age among US Adults.JAMA Network Open. 2020; 3
- Public health in England: The report of the Committee of Inquiry into the Future Development of the Public Health Function.HMSO, London1988
- Public Health Ethics.in: Zalta E.N. The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy [Internet]. Stanford University, 2010
- Using risk management to promote person-centred dementia care.Nursing Stand. 2016; 30: 414-446
- Older Adults.(Available at:)https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/older-adultsDate accessed: August 4, 2020
- The risks Associated with Alcohol Use and Alcoholism.Alcohol Res Health. 2011; 34: 135-143
- Alcohol use among older adults in the national epidemiologic survey on alcohol and related conditions: A latent class analysis.J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2009; 70: 8294-8838
- Alcohol use, comorbidity, and mortality.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006; 54: 7574-7762
- Characteristics and outcomes of older patients presenting to the emergency department after a fall: A retrospective analysis.MJA. 2000; 134: 179-182
- Age, alcohol metabolism and liver disease.Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2008; 11: 21-26
- Alcohol-drinking history and fatal injury in older adults.Alcohol. 2006; 40: 193-199
- Alcohol and medication interactions.Alcohol Res Health. 1999; 23: 40-54
- Alcohol and public health.Lancet. 2005; 365: 519-530
- Alcohol and cardiovascular disease in the geriatric population.Clin Cardiol. 2017; 40: 444-449
- Elderly abuse and alcohol consumption.Coll Antropol. 2015; 39: 869-875
- Alcohol and immediate risk of cardiovascular events: A systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis.Circulation. 2016; 133: 979-987
- Alcohol and cardiovascular health: The dose makes the poison…or the remedy.Mayo Clin Proc. 2014; 89: 382-393
- Australian Guidelines to Reduce Health Risks from Drinking Alcohol.National Health and Medical Research Council, Canberra2009: 181
- Long-term care providers and services users in the United States, 2015–2016.National Center for Health Statistics, 2019 (Contract No 43)
- Assessments of institutionalized dementia patients' competencies to participate in intimate relationships.Gerontologist. 1990; 30: 117-120
- Balancing rights and risks: Conflicting perspectives in the management of wandering in dementia.Health Risk Soc. 2007; 9: 389-406
- The right to take risks: Alcohol and older people.Social Policy and Administration. 1997; 31: 233-246
Grammer v John J. Kane Regional Centres - Glen Hazel 570 F.3d 520 (3d Cir. 2009).
- Alcohol Policy Information System.(Available at:)https://alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/Date accessed: August 4, 2020
- 2015–2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th Ed. 2015.(Available at:)https://health.gov/our-work/food-and-nutrition/2015-2020-dietary-guidelines/Date accessed: September 11, 2020
- Alcohol support.(Available at:)https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/alcohol-support/Date accessed: August 4, 2020
Quality of Care Principles 2014 (Cth) made under section 96-1 of the Aged Care Act 1997 (Cth).
42 U.S.C. § 1396r (2012).
- Encyclopaedic Australian Legal Dictionary.LexisNexis Australia, Chatswood, NSW2015
Wrongs Act 1958 (Vic) section 48(2).
- The need for higher minimum staffing standards in US nursing homes.Health Serv Insights. 2016; 9: 13-19
- Seniors rights Victoria submission to the royal commission into aged Care quality and safety.Seniors Rights Victoria, Melbourne, Victoria2019
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, GA Res 217A (III), UNGAOR, 3rd Sess, Supp No 13, UN Doc A/810 (1948).
- The Human Rights Joint Risk Assessment and Management Plan (HR-JRAMP).(Available at:)http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_089266.pdfDate accessed: September 11, 2020
- The social construction of risk by community psychiatric nurses and family carers for people with dementia.Health Risk Soc. 2001; 3: 307-319
- A human rights approach to ageing and health: Respect and choice.(Available at:)https://humanrights.gov.au/our-work/age-discrimination/publications/human-rights-approach-ageing-and-health-respect-and-choiceDate accessed: September 11, 2020
- Dignity in older age: What do older people in the United Kingdom think?.Age Ageing. 2004; 33: 165-170
- A qualitative study of alcohol, health and identities among UK adults in later life.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e71792
Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities GA Res 106, UNGAOR, 61st Sess, Supp No 49, UN Doc A/61/106 (2007).
- Patient safety in community dementia services: What can we learn from the experiences of caregivers and healthcare professionals?.Age Ageing. 2017; 46: 518-521
- Role of a clinical ethics committee in residential aged long-term care settings: A systematic review.JAMDA. 2020; (in press)
Merriam-Webster [Internet]. Springfield (MA): Merriam-Webster Incorporated; 2020. Law.
- The relation between different dimensions of alcohol consumption and burden of disease: An overview.Addiction. 2010; 105: 817-843
- Alcohol consumption.(Available at:)https://ourworldindata.org/alcohol-consumptionDate accessed: May 1, 2020
- An International Definition for “Nursing Home”.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015; 16: 181-184
This work was supported by the Department of Health and Human Services, Seniors, Aging and Aged Care Branch, Health and Well-Being Division, Victoria, Australia and the Department of Forensic Medicine, Monash University. None of the funders influenced the design, methods, subject recruitment, data collection, analysis, or preparation of the paper.
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency or departments of the Australian Federal Government, the State Government of Victoria, Monash University, the Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine, or the Coroners Court of Victoria.
The authors are affiliated with or employed by the Department of Forensic Medicine, Monash University, which is also a funding source. The authors have no other potential financial or personal interests that may constitute a source of bias.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
January 2021 Issue: Controversies Around Medication Use in Long-Term Care
Featuring Dr. Philip Sloane, Dr. Mallory Brown, and special guest, Dr. Joshua Nisnik; Recorded on December 13, 2021.