To perform a comprehensive evidence synthesis to summarize the impact of frailty on health outcomes in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD).
Systematic reviews and meta-analysis.
Electronic searches in PubMed, Embase, Web of Science, CNKI, VIP, CBM, and Wanfang Database were performed. The methodological quality was evaluated using the Newcastle Ottawa Scale (NOS).
Patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD).
Potential clinical outcomes due to frailty.
Eighteen cohort studies incorporating a total of 22,788 participants were included. The overall risk of bias was low. The median reported prevalence of frail and prefrail individuals with CKD was 41.8% (range 2.8-81.5%) and 43.9% (range 19.1-62.7%), respectively. Prefrailty and frailty related to mortality indicated an increased hazard ratio (HR), with a pooled HR of 1.68 [95% confidence interval (CI) 1.46-1.94; P < .001] and 1.48 (95% CI 1.21-1.81; P < .001), respectively. Prefrailty and frailty related to hospitalization with the pooled HR/risk ratio (RR) of 1.56 (95% CI 1.37-1.76; P < .001) and 1.21 (95% CI 0.79-1.85; P = .38), respectively. Similarly, the pooled HR demonstrated a strong correlation between frailty and falls in patients with CKD with HR 1.83 (95% CI 1.40-2.37; P < .001) and no statistical correlation between prefrailty and falls in these patients with pooled HR 1.19 (95% CI 0.44-3.22; P = .73), respectively.
Conclusions and Implications
Frailty is predictive of negative outcomes in patients with CKD, including all-cause mortality, all-cause hospitalization, and falls. Therefore, frailty should be routinely assessed among patients with CKD to prevent poor prognosis, reduce fatality rate, and provide evidence to support future targeted interventions. However, because of the limited amount of information currently in the literature, additional prospective studies are needed to explore the role of prefrailty in predicting adverse outcomes for patients with CKD.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Chronic kidney disease.Lancet. 2017; 389: 1238-1252
- Renal insufficiency as a predictor of cardiovascular outcomes and the impact of ramipril: The HOPE randomized trial.Ann Intern Med. 2001; 134: 629-636
- KDOQI clinical practice guideline for diabetes and CKD: 2012 update.Am J Kidney Dis. 2012; 60: 850-886
- K/DOQI clinical practice guidelines on hypertension and antihypertensive agents in chronic kidney disease.Am J Kidney Dis. 2004; 43: S1-S290
- Maintenance dialysis population dynamics: Current trends and long-term implication.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2002; 13: S37-S40
- Frailty in elderly people.Lancet. 2013; 381: 752-762
- Frailty in older adults: Evidence for a phenotype.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001; 56: M146-M156
- Frailty, kidney function, and polypharmacy: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study.Am J Kidney Dis. 2017; 69: 228-236
- Chronic inflammation in end-stage renal disease and dialysis.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2018; 33: iii35-iii40
- Inflammation and premature aging in advanced chronic kidney disease.Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2017; 313: F938-F950
- Frailty and the prediction of negative health outcomes: A meta-analysis.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2016; 17: 1163.e1-1163.e17
- Relationship between frailty and mortality, hospitalization, and cardiovascular diseases in diabetes: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2019; 18: 81
- Impact of frailty on mortality and hospitalization in chronic heart failure: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Am Heart Assoc. 2018; 7: e008251
- The prevalence and outcomes of frailty in older cancer patients: A systematic review.Ann Oncol. 2015; 26: 1091-1101
- Frailty and chronic kidney disease: A systematic review.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2017; 68: 135-142
- Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: A proposal for reporting. Meta-analysis of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (MOOSE) group.JAMA. 2000; 283: 2008-2012
- Critical evaluation of the Newcastle-Ottawa Scale for the assessment of the quality of non-randomized studies in meta-analyses.Eur J Epidemiol. 2010; 25: 603-605
- Weighted kappa: Nominal scale agreement with provision for scaled disagreement or partial credit.Psychol Bull. 1968; 70: 213-220
- Chapter 10: Analysing data and under taking meta-analyses.in: Higgins J.P.T. Thomas J. Chandler J. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions version 6.0 (updated July 2019). John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (UK)2019 (Available from)www.training.cochrane.org/handbookDate accessed: October 30, 2020
- Estimating the mean and variance from the median, range, and the size of a sample.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2005; 5: 13
- Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test.BMJ. 1997; 315: 629-634
- Frailty and mortality in dialysis: Evaluation of a clinical frailty scale.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015; 10: 832-840
- Frailty, dialysis initiation, and mortality in end-stage renal disease.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 1071-1077
- The impact of frailty on technique failure and mortality in patients on home dialysis.Perit Dial Int. 2019; 39: 532-538
- Association of frailty based on self-reported physical function with directly measured kidney function and mortality.BMC Nephrol. 2015; 16: 203
- Association of self-reported frailty with falls and fractures among patients new to dialysis.Am J Nephrol. 2015; 42: 134-140
- Prevalence of frailty in patients with maintenance hemodialysis and its effect on prognosis.J Nurs (China). 2018; 25: 37-41
- Frailty, body composition and the risk of mortality in incident hemodialysis patients: The predictors of arrhythmic and cardiovascular risk in end stage renal disease study.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2019; 34: 346-354
- Frailty in hemodialysis and prediction of poor short-term outcome: Mortality, hospitalization and visits to hospital emergency services.Ren Fail. 2019; 41: 567-575
- Significance of frailty among dialysis patients.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007; 18: 2960-2967
- Frailty among patients receiving hemodialysis: Evolution of components and associations with mortality.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2019; 74: 380-386
- Frailty in Chinese peritoneal dialysis patients: Prevalence and prognostic significance.Kidney Blood Press Res. 2016; 41: 736-745
- The prevalence, association, and clinical outcomes of frailty in maintenance dialysis patients.J Ren Nutr. 2017; 27: 106-112
- Frailty, physical function and affective status in elderly patients on hemodialysis.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2020; 87: 103976
- Frailty and falls among adult patients undergoing chronic hemodialysis: A prospective cohort study.BMC Nephrol. 2013; 14: 224
- Frailty as a novel predictor of mortality and hospitalization in individuals of all ages undergoing hemodialysis.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013; 61: 896-901
- Frailty, inflammatory markers, and waitlist mortality among patients with end-stage renal disease in a prospective cohort study.Transplantation. 2018; 102: 1740-1746
- Frailty and chronic kidney disease: The Third National Health and Nutrition Evaluation Survey.Am J Med. 2009; 122: 664-671.e2
- A study of clinical assessment of frailty in patients on maintenance hemodialysis supported by cashless government scheme.Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2017; 28: 15-22
- Frailty and mortality among patients with chronic kidney disease and end-stage renal disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Int Urol Nephrol. 2020; 52: 363-370
- Transitions between frailty states among community-living older persons.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 418-423
- Exercise training and nutritional supplementation for physical frailty in very elderly people.N Engl J Med. 1994; 330: 1769-1775
- Nutritional determinants of frailty in older adults: A systematic review.BMC Geriatr. 2017; 17: 108
- Clinical relevance of sarcopenia in chronic kidney disease.Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2017; 26: 219-228
- Etiology of the protein-energy wasting syndrome in chronic kidney disease: A consensus statement from the International Society of Renal Nutrition and Metabolism (ISRNM).J Ren Nutr. 2013; 23: 77-90
- Inflammageing: Chronic inflammation in ageing, cardiovascular disease, and frailty.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2018; 15: 505-522
- Screening for muscle loss in patients established on peritoneal dialysis using bioimpedance.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2017; 71: 70-75
- Frailty and body mass index as predictor of 3-year mortality in older adults.Gerontology. 2014; 60: 475-482
- Functional and cognitive impairment, frailty, and adverse health outcomes in older patients reaching ESRD—A systematic review.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016; 11: 1624-1639
- Changes in relative fitness and frailty across the adult lifespan: Evidence from the Canadian National Population Health Survey.CMAJ. 2011; 183: E487-E494
- Transitions between frailty states among community-dwelling older people: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Ageing Res Rev. 2019; 50: 81-88
- Low physical function in maintenance hemodialysis patients is independent of muscle mass and comorbidity.J Ren Nutr. 2015; 25: 371-375
- Prehabilitation for the frail patient approaching ESRD.Semin Nephrol. 2017; 37: 159-172
- Frailty in hospitalized older adults: Comparing different frailty measures in predicting short- and long-term patient outcomes.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 450-457.e3
- The assessment of frailty in older people with chronic kidney disease.Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2015; 24: 498-504
- The impact of frailty on outcomes in dialysis.Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2017; 26: 537-542
- Frailty assessment instruments: Systematic characterization of the uses and contexts of highly-cited instruments.Ageing Res Rev. 2016; 26: 53-61
- Association between physical performance and all-cause mortality in CKD.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013; 24: 822-830
- Factors associated with frailty and its trajectory among patients on hemodialysis.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017; 12: 1100-1108
- Sex differences in mortality among older frail Mexican Americans.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2009; 18: 1647-1651
- Frailty as a predictor of all-cause mortality in older men and women.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2014; 14: 899-905
- Sex differences in frailty: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Exp Gerontol. 2017; 89: 30-40
- The pathophysiology of frailty: Why sex is so important.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 4-5
- Frailty as a predictor of hospitalisation among community-dwelling older people: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2016; 70: 722-729
- Contributors, risk associates, and complications of frailty in patients with chronic kidney disease: A scoping review.Ther Adv Chronic Dis. 2019; 10 (2040622319880382)
- Frailty as a predictor of future falls in hospitalized patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Geriatr Nurs. 2020; 41: 69-74
- Risk factors for falls among elderly persons living in the community.N Engl J Med. 1988; 319: 1701-1707
- Frailty in older adults: A nationally representative profile in the United States.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2015; 70: 1427-1434
- The role of pharmacists in preventing falls among America's older adults.Front Public Health. 2016; 4: 250
- Long-term effects of three multicomponent exercise interventions on physical performance and fall-related psychological outcomes in community-dwelling older adults: A randomized controlled trial.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60: 437-446
- Follow-up efficacy of physical exercise interventions on fall incidence and fall risk in healthy older adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Sports Med Open. 2018; 4: 56
- Nutritional, physical, cognitive, and combination interventions and frailty reversal among older adults: A randomized controlled trial.Am J Med. 2015; 128: 1225-1236.e1
- Prevalence of frailty in community-dwelling older persons: A systematic review.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60: 1487-1492
Published online: November 18, 2020
F.M. and Q.G. are co–first authors.
This work was supported by the Natural Science Foundation of China (Number: 81873184).
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
© 2020 AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.