Handgrip strength has been used as a diagnostic criterion for sarcopenia.
- Chen L.K.
- Liu L.K.
- Woo J.
- et al.
Sarcopenia in Asia: Consensus report of the Asian Working Group for Sarcopenia.
J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2020; 15: 95-101
2However, if individuals have hand and/or wrist pain, strength measured via handgrip dynamometry will not give accurate assessments. A study reported that the prevalence of disabling wrist and hand pain was approximately 15% in occupational workers.
- Cruz-Jentoft A.J.
- Baeyens J.P.
- Bauer J.M.
- et al.
Sarcopenia: European consensus on definition and diagnosis: Report of the European Working Group on Sarcopenia in Older People.
Age Ageing. 2010; 39: 412-423
3Thus, it is necessary to consider muscle groups, other than the hand, for evaluating muscle strength in individuals who have hand and/or wrist pain. Although testing the knee extensors is one option, there are some older individuals with pain in their knees from conditions such as osteoarthritis
- Coggon D.
- Ntani G.
- Walker-Bone K.
- et al.
Determinants of international variation in the prevalence of disabling wrist and hand pain.
BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2019; 20: 436
4and they may have difficulty maximally exerting themselves on this test.
- Vina E.R.
- Kwoh C.K.
Epidemiology of osteoarthritis: Literature update.
Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2018; 30: 160-167
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Sarcopenia in Asia: Consensus report of the Asian Working Group for Sarcopenia.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2020; 15: 95-101
- Sarcopenia: European consensus on definition and diagnosis: Report of the European Working Group on Sarcopenia in Older People.Age Ageing. 2010; 39: 412-423
- Determinants of international variation in the prevalence of disabling wrist and hand pain.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2019; 20: 436
- Epidemiology of osteoarthritis: Literature update.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2018; 30: 160-167
- Age and sex differences in orofacial strength.Dysphagia. 2012; 27: 2-9
- Relationship between tongue strength, lip strength, and nutrition-related sarcopenia in older rehabilitation inpatients: A cross-sectional study.Clin Interv Aging. 2017; 12: 1207-1214
- Influence of sex and resistance training status on orofacial muscle strength and morphology in healthy adults between the ages of 18 and 40: A cross-sectional study.Am J Hum Biol. 2020; 32: e23401
- Effects of age, sex, disease, and exercise training on lip muscle strength.Cosmetics. 2020; 7: 18
Published online: December 07, 2020
© 2020 AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.