Setting and Participants
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Comparison of energy and protein intakes of older people consuming a texture modified diet with a normal hospital diet.J Hum Nutr Diet Off J Br Diet Assoc. 2005; 18: 213-219
- Energy, protein, calcium, vitamin D and fibre intakes from meals in residential care establishments in Australia.Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2003; 12: 172-177
- Dietary and fluid intakes of older adults in care homes requiring a texture modified diet: The role of snacks.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2011; 12: 234-239
- Oropharyngeal dysphagia in older persons - from pathophysiology to adequate intervention: A review and summary of an international expert meeting.Clin Interv Aging. 2016; 11: 189-208
- Dietary assessment methods for older persons: What is the best approach?.Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2013; 16: 534-540
- Validity of plate diagrams for estimation of energy and protein intake of nursing home residents receiving texture-modified diet: An enable Study.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 634-639
- Size matters! Differences in nutritional care between small, medium and large nursing homes in Germany.J Nutr Health Aging. 2017; 21: 464-472
- Factors influencing accuracy in estimating plate waste.J Am Diet Assoc. 1987; 87: 1219-1220
- The plate diagram: An instrument to record insufficient dietary intake in hospitalized patients.Aktuel Ernährungsmed. 2006; 31: 66-72
- Enable office. enable - healthy food choices in all stages of life.(Available at:)http://www.enable-cluster.de/index.php?id=29&L=1Date accessed: July 1, 2019
- ‘Mini-mental state’. A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician.J Psychiatr Res. 1975; 12: 189-198
- A global clinical measure of fitness and frailty in elderly people.Can Med Assoc J. 2005; 173: 489-495
- Frailty consensus: A call to action.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: 392-397
- Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two methods of clinical measurement.The Lancet. 1986; 327: 307-310
- Why Bland–Altman plots should useX, not (Y+X)/2 whenX is a reference method.Stat Med. 2008; 27: 778-780
- DGE-Qualitätsstandard für die Verpflegung in stationären Senioreneinrichtungen. 2015.(Available at:)https://www.fitimalter-dge.de/fileadmin/user_upload/medien/DGE-Qualitaetsstandard_Stationaere_Senioreneinrichtungen.pdfDate accessed: December 5, 2017
- Estimation of calorie and protein intake in aged patients validation of a method based on meal portions consumed.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2002; 57: M52-M56
- Comparison of visual estimation methods for regular and modified textures: Real-time vs digital imaging.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 1636-1641
- Development of a method for estimation of food and fluid intakes by nursing assistants in long-term care facilities: A pilot study.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 873-877
- Criterion validity of the visual estimation method for determining patients’ meal intake in a community hospital.Clin Nutr. 2016; 35: 1543-1549
- Nutrient intake at meals in residential care facilities for the aged: Validated visual estimation of plate waste.Aust J Nutr Diet. 1998; 55: 188-193
- Validation of a plate diagram sheet for estimation of energy and protein intake in hospitalized patients.Clin Nutr. 2013; 32: 746-751
- How to measure energy and protein intake in a geriatric department – A comparison of three visual methods.Clin Nutr ESPEN. 2017; 17: 110-113
- Inherent flaws in a method of estimating meal intake commonly used in long-term-care facilities.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 826-830
- Using digital photography in a clinical setting: A valid, accurate, and applicable method to assess food intake.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2018; 72: 879-887
This work is submitted in partial fulfilment of the requirements for obtaining the degree Dr. rer. biol. hum. (PhD in Human Biology) for the primary author Angela Ott at Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU), Germany.
This work was supported by the German Ministry for Education and Research (Grant 01EA1409C), Germany.
The preparation of this report is part of the enable cluster and is cataloged by the enable Steering Committee as enable31 (http://enable-cluster.de).
Dorothee Volkert received a research grant from Nestec Ltd, Vevey, Switzerland (agreement from Dec 2016), honorary for lecture from Nutricia and Fresenius outside the submitted work and is member of the Scientific Board of apetito AG. The other authors declare no conflict of interest.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
March 2021 Issue: Small House Nursing Homes / Post-Incarceration Geriatric Care / Delirium / Measuring Food Intake
Featuring Dr. Philip Sloane, Dr. Mallory Brown, and Dr. Jaclyn Portelli Tremont; Recorded on March 22, 2021.