While the complexity of sarcopenia pathogenesis has been universally accepted, gender-specific aspects have only received little attention. A recent study on microscopic characteristics of muscle composition in patients with hip fracture and sarcopenia showed a significant difference of fiber atrophy between men and women, with type II (“fast-twitch”) fiber atrophy being present only in men.
1This observation illustrates the need for a more gender-specific analysis of etiologic factors in sarcopenia, as this might also have therapeutic implications in the future.
- Tanganelli F.
- Meinke P.
- Hofmeister F.
- et al.
Type-2 muscle fiber atrophy is associated with sarcopenia in elderly men with hip fracture.
Exp Gerontol. 2021; 144 (111171)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Type-2 muscle fiber atrophy is associated with sarcopenia in elderly men with hip fracture.Exp Gerontol. 2021; 144 (111171)
- European Working Group on Sarcopenia in Older People. Sarcopenia: European consensus on definition and diagnosis: Report of the European Working Group on Sarcopenia in Older People.Age Ageing. 2010; 39: 412-423
- Writing Group for the European Working Group on Sarcopenia in Older People 2 (EWGSOP2), and the Extended Group for EWGSOP2. Sarcopenia: revised European consensus on definition and diagnosis.Age Ageing. 2019; 48: 16-31
- The clinical usefulness of muscle mass and strength measures in older people: A systematic review.Age Ageing. 2021; 50: 88-95
- Prevalence and factors associated with poor performance in the 5-chair stand test: findings from the Cognitive Function and Ageing Study II and proposed Newcastle protocol for use in the assessment of sarcopenia.J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2021; (Jan 18. [Epub ahead of print])
- Impact of low muscle mass and low muscle strength according to EWGSOP2 and EWGSOP1 in community-dwelling older people.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2020; 75: 1324-1330
- Sarcopenia, low handgrip strength, and low absolute muscle mass predict long-term mortality in older hospitalized patients: An observational inception cohort study.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 816-820
- Editorial: Body composition measurements in older adults.Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2020; 23: 1-3
- Asian Working Group for Sarcopenia: 2019 consensus update on sarcopenia diagnosis and treatment.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2020; 21: 300-307
- Muscle mass assessed by the D3-Creatine dilution method and incident self-reported disability and mortality in a prospective observational study of community-dwelling older men.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2021; 76: 123-130
- The association of muscle mass measured by D3-creatine dilution method with dual energy X-ray absorptiometry and physical function in postmenopausal women.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2021; (Jan 21. [Epub ahead of print])
- D3 -Creatine dilution and the importance of accuracy in the assessment of skeletal muscle mass.J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2019; 10: 14-21
- Application of ultrasound for muscle assessment in sarcopenia: 2020 SARCUS update.Eur Geriatr Med. 2021; 12: 45-59
- SARC-F for screening of sarcopenia among older adults: A meta-analysis of screening test accuracy.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 685-689
- Assessing the risk of sarcopenia in the elderly: The Mini Sarcopenia Risk Assessment (MSRA) questionnaire.J Nutr Health Aging. 2017; 21: 743-749
- The Mini Sarcopenia Risk Assessment (MSRA) Questionnaire score as a predictor of skeletal muscle mass loss.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2021; (Jan 2. [Epub ahead of print])
- Bimagrumab vs optimized standard of care for treatment of sarcopenia in community-dwelling older adults: A randomized clinical trial.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3: e2020836
- Exercise programs for muscle mass, muscle strength and physical performance in older adults with sarcopenia: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Aging Dis. 2020; 11: 863-873
- Interventions to ameliorate reductions in muscle quantity and function in hospitalised older adults: a systematic review towards acute sarcopenia treatment.Age Ageing. 2020; 50: 394-404
- Dietary intake, D3Cr muscle mass, and appendicular lean mass in a cohort of older men.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2020; 75: 1353-1361
- A higher protein intake at breakfast and lunch is associated with a higher total daily protein intake in older adults: A post-hoc cross-sectional analysis of four randomised controlled trials.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2020; (Nov 15. [Epub ahead of print])
- Exercise, nutrition, and combined exercise and nutrition in older adults with sarcopenia: A systematic review and network meta-analysis.Maturitas. 2021; 145: 38-48
- The effect of vitamin D plus protein supplementation on sarcopenia: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Maturitas. 2021; 145: 56-63
- Sufficient levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D and protein intake required to increase muscle mass in sarcopenic older adults - The PROVIDE study.Clin Nutr. 2018; 37: 551-557
- Dietary patterns, skeletal muscle health, and sarcopenia in older adults.Nutrients. 2019; 11: 745
- Association of nutrient-derived dietary patterns with sarcopenia and its components in community-dwelling older Japanese: A cross-sectional study.Nutr J. 2021; 20: 7
- Cardiovascular Health Study Collaborative Research Group. Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2011; 56: M146-M156
- Frailty and sarcopenia in combination are more predictive of mortality than either condition alone.Maturitas. 2021; 144: 102-107
- Critical appraisal of definitions and diagnostic criteria for sarcopenic obesity based on a systematic review.Clin Nutr. 2020; 39: 2368-2388
- Prevalence of sarcopenia as a comorbid disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Exp Gerontol. 2020; 131 (110801)
- Glycemic control and insulin improve muscle mass and gait speed in type 2 diabetes: The MUSCLES-DM Study.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 834-838
- Sarcopenia in chronic kidney disease: what have we learned so far?.J Nephrol. 2020; (Sep 2. [Epub ahead of print])
- Muscle wasting and sarcopenia in heart failure-The current state of science.Int J Mol Sci. 2020; 21 (6549)
This editorial presents findings from recent publications that might influence the future management of patients with sarcopenia. In addition, some still existing, but highly relevant knowledge gaps are identified.
© 2021 AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.