Demographic changes caused by the global aging of the population are leading to increased medical and care costs. Several models of care that avoid admission to general acute care hospitals, increased medical costs, and poor outcomes after hospitalization are being explored. Ribbink et al
1reported on the subacute care unit (SCU) in Spain and the acute geriatric care hospital (AGCH) in the Netherlands as intermediate care units that provided an alternative to admission to a general hospital. In the present letter, we introduce the characteristics and outcomes of community-based integrated care units (CICUs) in Japan, which function as intermediate care units.
- Ribbink M.E.
- Gual N.
- MacNeil-Vroomen J.L.
- et al.
Two European examples of acute geriatric units located outside of a general hospital for older adults with exacerbated chronic conditions.
J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021 Jan 29;
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Two European examples of acute geriatric units located outside of a general hospital for older adults with exacerbated chronic conditions.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021 Jan 29;
- Nurses' and care workers' perception of care quality in Japanese long-term care wards: A qualitative descriptive study.Glob Qual Nurs Res. 2018; 5 (2333393618812189)
- Length of hospital stay. Published 2019.(Available at:)https://data.oecd.org/healthcare/length-of-hospital-stay.htmDate accessed: April 21, 2021
Published online: April 21, 2021
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
© 2021 AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.