Anxiety and depression are major psychiatric nonmotor symptoms (NMSs) of Parkinson disease (PD). Although several studies have investigated the effects of psychotherapeutic interventions, particularly cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), for alleviating anxiety and depression in patients with PD, the findings have been inconclusive because of the small sample size and the lack of a unified protocol for such treatments. Thus, the present meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) was conducted to assess the effect of psychotherapy on PD-related anxiety and depression.
Systematic review and meta-analysis.
Setting and Participants
Relevant RCTs were extracted from PubMed, Embase, Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature, and Cochrane Library databases. This study was registered in PROSPERO under the number CRD 42020165052.
The primary and secondary outcomes were changes in the anxiety score and depressive symptoms, respectively.
Fourteen RCTs including 507 patients with PD were analyzed. The interventions were classified as CBT and non-CBT. CBT significantly reduced anxiety at the end of the study (standardized mean difference = −0.85, 95% confidence interval = −1.12 to −0.58, P < .001, I2 = 0%), whereas non-CBT did not. Greater heterogeneity in the effects of non-CBT treatment was observed. CBT was significantly beneficial for depression (standardized mean difference = −0.83, 95% confidence interval = −1.26 to −0.40, P < .001, I2 = 55%). Despite the greater heterogeneity in the effects, non-CBT interventions were also effective in alleviating depressive symptoms.
Conclusion and Implications
CBT is effective for the management of anxiety and depression in patients with PD. Routine treatment for patients with this condition is strongly recommended.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Epidemiology of Parkinson's disease.Lancet Neurol. 2006; 5: 525-535
- Parkinson's disease.Lancet. 2015; 386: 896-912
- Nonmotor symptoms in Parkinson's disease.Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2016; 22: S119-S122
- Diagnosis and treatment of Parkinson disease: A review.JAMA. 2020; 323: 548-560
- Motor and non-motor wearing-off and its impact in the quality of life of patients with Parkinson's disease.Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2018; 76: 517-521
- Depression and anxiety in Parkinson's disease.Int Rev Neurobiol. 2017; 133: 623-655
- Psychiatric manifestation in patients with Parkinson's disease.J Korean Med Sci. 2018; 33: e300
- Frequency of mood and anxiety fluctuations in Parkinson's disease patients with motor fluctuations: A systematic review.Mov Disord. 2018; 33: 1521-1527
- Relationships between gait and emotion in Parkinson's disease: A narrative review.Gait Posture. 2018; 65: 57-64
- Neurobiology of depression and anxiety in Parkinson’s disease.Parkinson Dis. 2011; 2011: 143547
- Relationships among depression, anxiety, sleep, and quality of life in patients with Parkinson's disease in Taiwan.Parkinson Dis. 2016; 2016: 4040185
- The neuropsychiatry of Parkinson disease: A perfect storm.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2019; 27: 998-1018
- Exploring nonmotor neuropsychiatric manifestations of Parkinson disease in a comprehensive care setting.J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 2021; 34: 181-195
- Depression and anxiety in Parkinson disease.Clin Geriatr Med. 2020; 36: 93-104
- Assessment and management of neuropsychiatric symptoms in Parkinson's disease.CNS Drugs. 2018; 32: 621-635
- Cognitive behavioral therapy for mood disorders: Efficacy, moderators and mediators.Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2010; 33: 537-555
- Mindfulness-based interventions for anxiety and depression.Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2017; 40: 739-749
- A Meta-analysis of mindfulness-based therapies for insomnia and sleep disturbance: Moving towards processes of change.Sleep Med Clin. 2019; 14: 209-233
- Cognitive behavioral therapy in the treatment of insomnia.South Med J. 2018; 111: 75-80
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy.([Updated 2020 Oct 15])in: StatPearls [Internet]. StatPearls Publishing, Treasure Island (FL)2020
- Cognitive behaviour therapy for depression and anxiety in Parkinson's Disease.J Parkinsons Dis. 2015; 5: 443-451
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of cognitive behavioral and psychodynamic therapy for depression in Parkinson's disease patients.Neurol Sci. 2015; 36: 833-843
- RoB 2: A revised tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials.BMJ. 2019; 366: l4898
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: Explanation and elaboration.J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62: e1-e34
- The effects of a mindfulness-based lifestyle program for adults with Parkinson's disease: A mixed methods, wait list controlled randomised control study.BMC Neurol. 2016; 16: 166
- A Pilot study of a cognitive-behavioral treatment for anxiety and depression in patients with Parkinson disease.J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 2015; 28: 210-217
- Telephone-based cognitive behavioral therapy for depression in Parkinson disease: A randomized controlled trial.Neurology. 2020; 94: E1764-E1773
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy for depression in Parkinson's disease: A randomized, controlled trial.Am J Psychiatry. 2011; 168: 1066-1074
- Randomized trial of cognitive speed of processing training in Parkinson disease.Neurology. 2013; 81: 1284-1290
- Tackling psychosocial maladjustment in Parkinson's disease patients following subthalamic deep-brain stimulation: A randomised clinical trial.PLoS One. 2017; 12: e0174512
- Body awareness training in the treatment of wearing-off related anxiety in patients with Parkinson's disease: Results from a pilot randomized controlled trial.J Psychosom Res. 2017; 103: 1-8
- Trial of CBT for impulse control behaviors affecting Parkinson patients and their caregivers.Neurology. 2013; 80: 792-799
- A computerized cognitive behavioral therapy randomized, controlled, pilot trial for insomnia in parkinson disease (ACCORD-PD).J Clin Mov Disod. 2017; 4: 16
- Improving functional disability and cognition in Parkinson disease: Randomized controlled trial.Neurology. 2014; 83: 2167-2174
- Effects of cognitive training in Parkinson's disease: A randomized controlled trial.Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2014; 20: 1196-1202
- Modified mindfulness-based cognitive therapy for depressive symptoms in Parkinson's disease: A pilot trial.Behav Cogn Psychother. 2019; 47: 446-461
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) for carers of patients with Parkinson's disease: A preliminary randomised controlled trial.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2005; 76: 491-497
- The effect of psychotherapy in patients with PD: A controlled study.Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2010; 16: 298-300
- A waitlist-controlled trial of group cognitive behavioural therapy for depression and anxiety in Parkinson's disease.BMC Psychiatry. 2014; 14: 19
- Telephone-administered cognitive behavioral therapy: A case study of anxiety and depression in Parkinson's disease.J Clin Psychol Med Settings. 2009; 16: 243-253
- A meta-analytic review of cognitive processing therapy for adults with posttraumatic stress disorder.Cogn Behav Ther. 2019; 48: 1-14
- Cognitive behaviour therapy for health anxiety: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Behav Cogn Psychother. 2017; 45: 110-123
- Efficacy of cognitive-behavioral therapy for obsessive-compulsive disorder.Psychiatry Res. 2015; 225: 236-246
- Relative effects of cognitive and behavioral therapies on generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder and panic disorder: A meta-analysis.J Anxiety Disord. 2016; 43: 79-89
- Cognitive behavior therapy for the eating disorders.Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2019; 42: 169-179
- Doxepin and cognitive behavioural therapy for insomnia in patients with Parkinson's disease—a randomized study.Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2013; 19: 670-675
- Mindfulness interventions.Annu Rev Psychol. 2017; 68: 491-516
- Long-term care of Parkinson's disease. Strategies for managing "wearing off" symptom re-emergence and dyskinesias.Geriatrics. 2006; 61: 14-20
- The Sydney multicenter study of Parkinson's disease: The inevitability of dementia at 20 years.Mov Disord. 2008; 23: 837-844
- Update on treatments for nonmotor symptoms of Parkinson's disease-an evidence-based medicine review.Mov Disord. 2019; 34: 180-198
Published online: May 03, 2021
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
The authors declare no financial relationships to disclose.
© 2021 AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.