Setting and Participants
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- FY 2018 Budget Submission.(Available at:)https://www.va.gov/budget/products.aspDate accessed: August 15, 2020
- H.R.2116—106th Congress (1999-2000): Veterans Millennium Health Care and Benefits Act.(Available at:)https://www.congress.gov/bill/106th-congress/house-bill/2116Date accessed: August 15, 2020
- Budget in brief.(Available at:)https://www.va.gov/budget/docs/summary/fy2021VAbudgetInBrief.pdfDate accessed: January 15, 2021
- 2018 Home and Community Preferences: A national survey of adults age 18-plus.(Available at:)https://www.aarp.org/research/topics/community/info-2018/2018-home-community-preference.htmlDate accessed: August 16, 2020
- Medicaid expenditures for long-term services and supports in FY 2016.(Available at:)http://www.advancingstates.org/sites/nasuad/files/ltssexpenditures2016.pdfDate accessed: August 16, 2020
- Change in VA community living centers 2004–2011: Shifting long-term care to the community.J Aging Soc Policy. 2018; 30: 93-108
- Evidence matters: Measuring the costs and savings of aging in place.(Available at:)https://www.huduser.gov/portal/periodicals/em/fall13/highlight2.htmlDate accessed: January 6, 2021
- VA staff perceptions of barriers and facilitators to home-and community-based placement post–hospital discharge.J Aging Soc Policy. 2019; 31: 1-29
- Interventions to prevent or delay long-term nursing home placement for adults with impairments—A systematic review of reviews.J Gen Int Med. 2020; 35: 2118-2129
- Health services research and development: VA priorities and VHA strategic plans.(Available at:)https://www.hsrd.research.va.gov/about/strategic_plan.cfmDate accessed: June 29, 2020
- Guidebook for Use of the GECDAC Core Files.US Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington, DC2018
- Validation of an automatically generated screening score for frailty: The Care Assessment Need (CAN) score.BMC Geriatr. 2018; 18: 106
- Home-based primary care: Beyond extension of the independence at home demonstration.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2018; 66: 812-817
- Validation of the JEN frailty index in the National Long-Term Care Survey community population: Identifying functionally impaired older adults from claims data.BMC Health Serv Res. 2018; 18: 908
- The Supreme Court of the United States. Olmstead v. L. C., 527 U.S. 581. 1999
- 2372—115th Congress (2017-2018): VA MISSION Act of 2018. US Congress website.(Available at:)https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/2372Date accessed: August 15, 2020
- Medicaid home- and community-based services: Selected states’ program structures and challenges providing services.(Available at:)https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-18-628Date accessed: August 16, 2020
- Reform of Requirements for Long-Term Care Facilities. Final rule. Fed Regist 2016;81:68688-68872.(Available at:)https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2016-10-04/pdf/2016-23503.pdfDate accessed: August 15, 2019
- Profile of veterans: 2016. Data from the American Community Survey. National Center for Veterans Analysis and Statistics, Department of Veterans Affairs.(Available at:)https://www.va.gov/vetdata/docs/SpecialReports/Profile_of_Veterans_2016.pdfDate accessed: August 16, 2020
- US Veterans who do and do not utilize Veterans Affairs health care services: Demographic, military, medical, and psychosocial characteristics.Prim Care Companion CNS Disord. 2019; 21: 18m02350
- Current and future demographics of the Veteran population. In: Current and Projected Characteristics and Unique Health Care Needs of the Patient Population Served by the Department of Veterans Affairs (pp. 31-56). 2015.(Available at:)http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.7249/j.ctt19w735m.12Date accessed: August 16, 2020
- A guide to measuring the triple aim: Population health, experience of care, and per capita cost.(Available at:)http://www.ihi.org/resources/Pages/IHIWhitePapers/AGuidetoMeasuringTripleAim.aspxDate accessed: January 6, 2021
C.M. and C.W.H. are co–first authors.
J.L.R., S.G., C.M., K.M., T.P.O., and C.W.H. are employees of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs.
The authors retained full independence in the conduct and communication of this research. The statements and opinions expressed are those of the authors and do not represent the official policy or procedures of the United States Government or the Department of Veterans Affairs.