Setting and Participants
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- The association between geriatric syndromes and survival.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60: 896-904
- The role of muscle loss in the age-related decline of grip strength: cross-sectional and longitudinal perspectives.J Gerontol. 1990; 45: M82-M88
- Sarcopenic obesity in older adults: Aetiology, epidemiology and treatment strategies.Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2018; 14: 513-537
- Sarcopenia, sarcopenic obesity and mortality in older adults: Results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey III.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2014; 68: 1001-1007
- Exercise attenuates the weight-loss-induced reduction in muscle mass in frail obese older adults.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008; 40: 1213-1219
- The central role of muscle stem cells in regenerative failure with aging.Nat Med. 2015; 21: 854
- Oxytocin is an age-specific circulating hormone that is necessary for muscle maintenance and regeneration.Nat Commun. 2014; 5: 4082
- Intranasal oxytocin: Myths and delusions.Biol Psychiatry. 2016; 79: 243-250
- Peripheral oxytocin activates vagal afferent neurons to suppress feeding in normal and leptin-resistant mice: A route for ameliorating hyperphagia and obesity.Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2015; 308: R360-R369
- Oxytocin reduces caloric intake in men.Obesity. 2015; 23: 950-956
- Oxytocin reduces satiety scores without affecting the volume of nutrient intake or gastric emptying rate in healthy subjects.Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2011; 23: 56
- The role of oxytocin in regulation of appetitive behaviour, body weight and glucose homeostasis.J Neuroendocrinol. 2020; 32: e12805
- Treatment of obesity and diabetes using oxytocin or analogs in patients and mouse models.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e61477
- Role of oxytocin signaling in the regulation of body weight.Rev Endocr Metab Disord. 2013; 14: 311-329
- Mechanisms of the anti-obesity effects of oxytocin in diet-induced obese rats.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e25565
- The Geriatric Depression Scale: A review of its development and utility.Int Psychogeriatr. 1996; 8: 103-112
- Sarcopenia: European consensus on definition and diagnosis Report of the European Working Group on Sarcopenia in Older People.Age Ageing. 2010; 39: 412-423
- Gait speed as a mediator of the effect of sarcopenia on dependency in activities of daily living.J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2019; 10: 1009-1015
- The Montreal Cognitive Assessment, MoCA: A brief screening tool for mild cognitive impairment.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 695-699
- Screening for depression in the general population with the Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression (CES-D): A systematic review with meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2016; 11: e0155431
- A short physical performance battery assessing lower extremity function: Association with self-reported disability and prediction of mortality and nursing home admission.J Gerontol. 1994; 49: M85-M94
- The timed “Up & Go”: A test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1991; 39: 142-148
- Appetite assessment: Simple appetite questionnaire predicts weight loss in community-dwelling adults and nursing home residents.Am J Clin Nutr. 2005; 82: 1074-1081
- Sarcopenia, sarcopenic obesity, and functional impairments in older adults: National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys 1999–2004.Nutr Res. 2015; 35: 1031-1039
- Longitudinal associations between body composition, sarcopenic obesity and outcomes of frailty, disability, institutionalisation and mortality in community-dwelling older men: The Concord Health and Ageing in Men Project.Age Ageing. 2016; 46: 413-420
- Oxytocin stimulates glucose uptake in skeletal muscle cells through the calcium–CaMKK–AMPK pathway.Regul Pept. 2008; 151: 71-74
- The effects of oxytocin on eating behaviour and metabolism in humans.Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2017; 13: 700
- Effect of synthetic oxytocin on plasma nonesterified fatty acids, triglycerides, and blood glucose.Obstet Gynecol. 1963; 21: 708-712
- The role of oxytocin in social bonding, stress regulation and mental health: An update on the moderating effects of context and interindividual differences.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2013; 38: 1883-1894
- Prosocial effects of oxytocin and clinical evidence for its therapeutic potential.Front Neuroendocrinol. 2011; 32: 426-450
- Oxytocin: the great facilitator of life.Prog Neurobiol. 2009; 88: 127-151
- The interface of oxytocin-labeled cells and serotonin transporter-containing fibers in the primate hypothalamus: A substrate for SSRIs therapeutic effects?.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2007; 32: 977-988
- Plasma oxytocin levels and anxiety in patients with major depression.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2007; 32: 407-410
- The role of oxytocin in psychiatric disorders: A review of biological and therapeutic research findings.Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2013; 21: 219-247
- A review of safety, side-effects and subjective reactions to intranasal oxytocin in human research.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2011; 36: 1114-1126
Sara E. Espinoza and Jessica L. Lee are co-first authors.
Nicolas Musi and Elena Volpi are co-senior authors.
This work was supported by the National Institute on Aging (National Institutes of Health) through the Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center at University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (Grant P30 AG044271) and at University of Texas Medical Branch (Grant P30 AG024832). It was also supported by the National Institutes of Health through Clinical Translational Science Awards to the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (Grant UL1 TR002645), the University of Texas Medical Branch (Grant UL1 TR001439), and the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (Grant UL1 TR00037). Administrative and infrastructure support was provided by the Geriatrics Research, Education and Clinical Center at the South Texas Veterans Health Care System.
The authors of have no conflicts of interest to declare in relation to this work.