Setting and Participants
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Drug use in the nursing home.Ann Intern Med. 1995; 123: 195-204
- Polypharmacy in nursing home residents in the United States: Results of the 2004 National Nursing Home Survey.Am J Geriatr Pharmacother. 2010; 8: 63-72
- Potentially severe drug-drug interactions among older people and associations in assisted living facilities in Finland: A cross-sectional study.Scand J Prim Health Care. 2016; 34: 250-257
- Polypharmacy and potentially inappropriate medications: A cross-sectional analysis among 451 nursing homes in France.Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2017; 73: 601-608
- Trends in potentially inappropriate medication prescribing to nursing home patients: Comparison of three cross-sectional studies.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2017; 26: 192-200
- Drug prescriptions in nursing home residents: An Italian multicenter observational study.Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2020; 76: 1011-1019
- Constipation and laxative use among people living in nursing homes in 2007 and 2013.BMC Geriatr. 2019; 19: 38
- Drugs and constipation in elderly in nursing homes: What is the relation?.Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2012; 2012: 290231
- Constipation and laxative use among nursing home patients: prevalence and associations derived from the residents assessment instrument for long-term care facilities (interRAI LTCF).Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2016; 2016: 1215746
- A nation-wide study of prevalence and risk factors for fecal impaction in nursing homes.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e105281
- Prevalence and effectiveness of laxative use among elderly residents in a regional hospital affiliated nursing home in Hsinchu County.Nurs Midwifery Stud. 2014; 3: e13962
- Use of laxatives among older nursing home residents in Helsinki, Finland.Drugs Aging. 2007; 24: 147-154
- Audits of medication use in Sydney nursing homes.Age Ageing. 2006; 35: 403-408
- Cross-national comparison of medication use in Australian and Dutch nursing homes.Age Ageing. 2018; 47 (Erratum for: Age Ageing 2017;46:320–323): 319
- The occurrence and risk factors of constipation in inpatient palliative care unit patients vs nursing home residents.Prz Gastroenterol. 2018; 13: 299-304
- Appropriate use of laxatives in the older person.Drugs Aging. 2019; 36: 999-1005
- Epidemiology and management of chronic constipation in elderly patients.Clin Intervent Aging. 2015; 10: 919-930
- Laxative use and self-reported constipation in a community-dwelling elderly population: A community-based survey from Australia.Gastroenterol Nurs. 2017; 40: 134-141
- Diagnostic approach to chronic constipation in adults.Am Fam Phys. 2011; 84: 299-306
- Laxative use among older adults with intellectual disability: A cross-sectional observational study.Int J Clin Pharm. 2020; 42: 89-99
- Chronic constipation.Mayo Clin Proc. 2019; 94: 2340-2357
- Pharmacological treatment for antipsychotic-related constipation.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 1: CD011128
- Relationship between constipation and medication.J UOEH. 2019; 41: 145-151
- Laxative use in care homes.J Adv Nurs. 2010; 66: 1266-1272
- The prescribing cascade revisited.Lancet. 2017; 389: 1778-1780
- American Geriatrics Society 2015 Updated Beers Criteria for Potentially Inappropriate Medication Use in Older Adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015; 63: 2227-2246
- AIFA-Agenzia Italiana del Farmaco.https://www.aifa.gov.it/-/cdc-nuove-linee-guida-raccomandano-limitazione-delle-prescrizioni-di-oppioidi-per-il-trattamento-del-dolore-cronicoDate accessed: March 22, 2021
- Calcium channel blockers.J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2011; 13: 687-689
- Side effects of calcium channel blockers.Hypertension. 1988; 11: II42-II44
- Intervention with dietary fiber to treat constipation and reduce laxative use in residents of nursing homes.Ann Nutr Metab. 2008; 52: 54-56
- Effect of dietary fiber on constipation: A meta- analysis.World J Gastroenterol. 2012; 18: 7378-7383
- Fermented fiber supplements are no better than placebo for a laxative effect.Dig Dis Sci. 2016; 61: 3140-3146
- Constipation in older people: A consensus statement.Int J Clin Pract. 2017; 71
- SIMG Società Italiana di Medicina Generale e delle cure primarie.https://www.simg.it/Riviste/rivista_simg/2012/02_2012/9.pdfDate accessed: March 23, 2021
- Rome IV Diagnostic Questionnaires and Tables for Investigators and Clinicians.Gastroenterology. 2016;
Data collection complied fully with Italian law on personal data protection, and the study was approved by the ethics committee of the IRCCS Carlo Besta Foundation.
This research did not receive any funding from agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
All data were anonymous and informed consent was not required for the purpose of this study.
All authors participated in drafting the manuscript or critical revision of the manuscript for important intellectual content and provided approval of the final submitted version. Individual contributions are as follows: CE and LP designed the study, interpreted data, and wrote the manuscript; AN did and interpreted statistical analyses; AN and AI made the final critical revision for important intellectual contents. All authors approved the final version of the manuscript.
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.