Hakeem and colleagues
1investigated the association between tooth loss, periodontal disease, and frailty among community-dwelling older American adults. In their cross-sectional nationally representative surveys, they found that oral health was associated with frailty according to frailty index, and nutritional intake appeared to have a modest effect on the association. As part of a larger study exploring nutritional and functional status,
- Hakeem F.F.
- Bernabé E.
- Sabbah W.
Association between oral health and frailty among American older adults.
J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 559-563.e2
2we investigated the oral health of older residents in nursing homes and assisted living facilities in Helsinki (FINORAL study). We aimed to explore whether there was a similar association between frailty and tooth loss or periodontitis in the long-term care population.
- Saarela R.K.T.
- Muurinen S.
- Suominen M.H.
- et al.
Changes in malnutrition and quality of nutritional care among aged residents in all nursing homes and assisted living facilities in Helsinki 2003-2011.
Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2017; 72: 169-173
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Association between oral health and frailty among American older adults.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 559-563.e2
- Changes in malnutrition and quality of nutritional care among aged residents in all nursing homes and assisted living facilities in Helsinki 2003-2011.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2017; 72: 169-173
- The Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA) and its use in grading the nutritional state of elderly patients.Nutrition. 1999; 15: 116-122
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: Development and evaluation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Frailty in relation to the accumulation of deficits.J Gerontol Med Sci. 2007; 62A: 722-727
- Prevalence and 10-year outcomes of frailty in older adults in relation to deficit accumulation.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58: 681-687
- A new clinical scale for the staging of dementia.Br J Psychiatry. 1982; 140: 566-572
- What is polypharmacy? A systematic review of definitions.BMC Geriatr. 2017; 17: 230
- The 15D instrument of health-related quality of life: Properties and applications.Ann Med. 2001; 33: 328-336
Published online: June 16, 2021
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
© 2021 AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.