Direct oral anticoagulants (DOACs) are presented as a good option for older patients owing to their safety profile. However, the dosing of these drugs can become challenging. This is due to the fluctuation of renal function in this population, together with the presence of comorbidities and the concomitant use of other drugs, among other reasons. Prior studies reported high rates of nonstandard dosing in older patients,
1increasing the risk of adverse events.
- Yao X.
- Shah N.D.
- Sangaralingham L.R.
- et al.
Non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulant dosing in patients with atrial fibrillation and renal dysfunction.
J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 69: 2779-2790
- Atar D.
- Grundvold I.
On-label reduced doses of non-vitamin K anticoagulants prove safe and efficient; yet how to ensure the correct dose for the right patient?.
Eur Heart J. 2019; 40: 1501-1503
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulant dosing in patients with atrial fibrillation and renal dysfunction.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 69: 2779-2790
- On-label reduced doses of non-vitamin K anticoagulants prove safe and efficient; yet how to ensure the correct dose for the right patient?.Eur Heart J. 2019; 40: 1501-1503
- Vitamin K antagonists and direct oral anticoagulants in nonagenarian patients with atrial fibrillation.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2020; 21: 367-373.e1
- Off-label dosing of non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants and adverse outcomes: The ORBIT-AF II Registry.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 68: 2597-2604
- Utilization and prescribing patterns of direct oral anticoagulants.Int J Gen Med. 2017; 10: 87-94
- Incidence, predictors of bleeding and prognosis of bleeding in anticoagulated nonagenarian patients with atrial fibrillation.Int J Cardiol. 2020;
Published online: June 30, 2021
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
© 2021 AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.