Setting and Participants
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Long-term care providers and services users in the United States, 2015-2016. National Center for Health Statistics.Vital Health Stat 3. 2016; 38 (1–105): x-xii
- Potentially avoidable hospitalizations of nursing home residents: Frequency, causes, and costs [See editorial comments by Drs. Jean F. Wyman and William R. Hazzard, pp 760–761].J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58: 627-635
- Identifying potentially preventable emergency department visits by nursing home residents in the United States.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015; 16: 395-399
- Association between proportion of provider clinical effort in nursing homes and potentially avoidable hospitalizations and medical costs of nursing home residents.J Am Geriatrics Soc. 2013; 61: 1750-1757
- Temporal trends in the numbers of skilled nursing facility specialists from 2007 through 2014.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 1376-1378
- Physicians and advanced practitioners specializing in nursing home, 2012-2015.JAMA. 2017; 318: 2040-2042
- Trends in primary care provision to Medicare beneficiaries by physicians, nurse practitioners, or physician assistants: 2008-2014.J Prim Care Community Health. 2017; 8: 256-263
- Medicare data on physician and specialty (MD_PPAS).(Available at:)Accessed January 27, 2021)
- Comparison of methods to identify long term care nursing home residence with administrative data.BMC Health Serv Res. 2017; 17: 376
- Nursing home Compare. Medicare.gov.(Available at:)Accessed January 27, 2021)
- Surgeon and facility variation in the use of minimally invasive breast biopsy in Texas.Ann Surg. 2015; 262: 171-178
- Hospital variation in transfusion and infection after cardiac surgery: A cohort study.BMC Med. 2009; 7: 37
- Determinants of androgen deprivation therapy use for prostate cancer: Role of the urologist.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006; 98: 839-845
- Discharge patterns for ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke patterns going from acute care hospitals to inpatient and skilled nursing rehabilitation.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2018; 97: 636-645
- Growth in the care of older patients by hospitalists in the United States.N Eng J Med. 2009; 360: 1102-1112
- Wealth of Nations.Penguin Books, London1970 (first published 1776)
- Trajectories over the first year of long-term care nursing home residence.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 333-341
- Postacute care outcomes and Medicare payments for patients treated by physicians and advanced practitioners who specialize in nursing home practice.Health Serv Res. 2019; 54: 564-574
- Use of Medicare data to identify team-based primary care: Is it possible?.Med Care. 2019; 57: 905-912
- A call for collaboration: Improving cardiogeriatric care.Can J Cardiol. 2016; 32: 1041-1044
- Processes and outcomes of congestive heart failure care by different types of primary care models.J Card Fail. 2018; 24: 9-18
- Will nurse practitioners replace physicians as attendings in long-term care?.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2001; 2: 222-224
- Characterizing physician in nursing homes using claims-based measures: Correlation with nursing home administrators’ perceptions.Med Care Res Rev. 2021; 78: 806-815
This work was supported by the National Institutes of Health, United States (Grants R01 HS020642, P30AG024832, UL1TR001439).
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
December 2021 Issue: Full-Time Nursing Home Practice / Deprescribing / Pain Management / Ventilators
Featuring Dr. Philip Sloane, Dr. Mallory Brown; Recorded: December 8, 2021.