Setting and Participants
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Diabetes, sarcopenia, and frailty.Clin Geriatr Med. 2008; 24: 455-469
- Physical activity during daily life and functional decline in peripheral arterial disease.Circulation. 2009; 119: 251-260
- Accelerated loss of skeletal muscle strength in older adults with type 2 diabetes: The health, aging, and body composition study.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 1507-1512
- Frailty, sarcopenia and diabetes.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014; 15: 853-859
- Diabetes mellitus in older people: Position statement on behalf of the International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics (IAGG), the European Diabetes Working Party for Older People (EDWPOP), and the International Task Force of Experts in Diabetes.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2012; 13: 497-502
- Management of type 2 diabetes in older people.Diabetes Ther. 2013; 4: 13-26
- Frailty: Diagnosis and management.J Nutr Health Aging. 2011; 15: 667-670
- An evaluation of the effectiveness of a multi-modal intervention in frail and pre-frail older people with type 2 diabetes - the MID-Frail study: Study protocol for a randomised controlled trial.Trials. 2014; 15: 34
- Exercise interventions in polypathological aging patients that coexist with diabetes mellitus: Improving functional status and quality of life.Age (Omaha). 2015; 37: 64
- Twice-weekly progressive resistance training decreases abdominal fat and improves insulin sensitivity in older men with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 662-667
- Effects of different exercise interventions on risk of falls, gait ability, and balance in physically frail older adults: A systematic review.Rejuvenation Res. 2013; : 105-114
- Multicomponent exercises including muscle power training enhance muscle mass, power output, and functional outcomes in institutionalized frail nonagenarians.Age (Omaha). 2014; 36: 773-785
- Muscle power training in the institutionalized frail: A new approach to counteracting functional declines and very late-life disability.Curr Med Res Opin. 2014; 30: 1385-1390
- Muscle power training: A hallmark for muscle function retaining in frail clinical setting.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 190-192
- Effectiveness of a multimodal intervention in functionally impaired older people with type 2 diabetes mellitus.J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2019; 10: 721-733
- Changes in muscle power after usual care or early structured exercise intervention in acutely hospitalized older adults.J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2020; 11: 997-1006
- Effects of strength training on muscle power and serum hormones in middle-aged and older men.J Appl Physiol (1985). 2001; 90: 1497-1507
- Physical activity guidelines for older people: Knowledge gaps and future directions.Lancet Heal Longev. 2021; 2: E380-E383
- Effect size, confidence interval and statistical significance: A practical guide for biologists.Biol Rev. 2007; 82: 591-605
- Positive effects of resistance training in frail elderly patients with dementia after long-term physical restraint.Age (Omaha). 2014; 36: 801-811
- Supervised exercise (Vivifrail) protects institutionalized older adults against severe functional decline after 14 weeks of COVID confinement.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 217-219.e2
- Resistance training for older adults: Position statement from the National Strength and Conditioning Association.J Strength Cond Res. 2019; 33: 2019-2052
- Effects of resistance training, detraining, and retraining on strength and functional capacity in elderly.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2019; 31: 31-39
- Muscle performance and functional capacity retention in older women after high-speed power training cessation.Exp Gerontol. 2012; 47: 620-624
- Residual effects of muscle strength and muscle power training and detraining on physical function in community-dwelling prefrail older adults: A randomized controlled trial.BMC Geriatr. 2012; 12: 68
- Effects of prolonged and maintenance strength training on force production, walking, and balance in aging women and men.Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2014; 24: 224-233
- Role of the nervous system in sarcopenia and muscle atrophy with aging: Strength training as a countermeasure.Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2010; 20: 49-64
- Physical activity advice only or structured exercise training and association with HbA1c levels in type 2 diabetes: A systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2011; 305: 1790-1799
The European Commission EU 7th Framework Program (Contract No 278803) funded the project.
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
Featuring Dr. Philip Sloane, Dr. Mallory Brown, Dr. Naushira Pandya. Recorded: September 23, 2021.