High mortality among nursing home residents in the COVID-19 pandemic has laid bare the vulnerabilities of our current health care system and is inspiring conversations about how to transform nursing home care to improve quality of life and quality of work, including a JAMDA Call for Papers focused on “Reimagining Long-Term Care.”
Reimagining long-term care: Call for manuscript submissions.
Date accessed: June 13, 2021
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
COVID-19 nursing home data.
Date accessed: June 10, 2021
3As researchers and policy makers recruit nursing homes for partnership in studies of transformation, an assessment of organizational strain of these communities will be essential. Organizational strain is defined as the high probability of severe failure that occurs when resources required by research or quality improvement studies cannot be provided by the organization.
- Bowers B.J.
- Chu C.H.
- Wu B.
- et al.
What COVID-19 innovations can teach us about improving quality of life in long-term care.
J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 929-932
4This is necessary not only to identify organizations well equipped to participate in research but also to protect safety in organizations that lack appropriate resources as the pandemic added strain to already burdened, under-resourced health care settings.
- Wood S.
- Ghezzi V.
- Barbaranelli C.
- et al.
Assessing the risk of stress in organizations: Getting the measure of organizational-level stressors.
Front Psychol. 2019; 10: 2776
5We posit that, just as individuals have a hierarchy of needs, so too do organizations and we risk compromising safety by adding new initiatives when basic needs are not satisfied.
- White E.M.
- Wetle T.F.
- Reddy A.
- Baier R.R.
Front-line nursing home staff experiences during the COVID-19 pandemic.
J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 199-203
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Reimagining long-term care: Call for manuscript submissions.(Available at:)https://www.jamda.com/content/jmda-call-for-manuscript-submissionsDate: 2021Date accessed: June 13, 2021
- COVID-19 nursing home data.(Available at:)https://data.cms.gov/stories/s/COVID-19-Nursing-Home-Data/bkwz-xpvg/Date: 2021Date accessed: June 10, 2021
- What COVID-19 innovations can teach us about improving quality of life in long-term care.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 929-932
- Assessing the risk of stress in organizations: Getting the measure of organizational-level stressors.Front Psychol. 2019; 10: 2776
- Front-line nursing home staff experiences during the COVID-19 pandemic.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 199-203
- Association of work environment with missed and rushed care tasks among care aides in nursing homes.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3: e1920092
- Staff experiences forming and sustaining palliative care teams in nursing homes.Gerontologist. 2018; 58: e218-e225
- The influence of teams to sustain quality improvement in nursing homes that "need improvement".J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: 48-52
- Effects of an intervention to reduce hospitalizations from nursing homes: A randomized implementation trial of the INTERACT program.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 1257-1264
- Uncovering the devaluation of nursing home staff during COVID-19: Are we fuelling the next health care crisis?.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2020; 21: 962-965
- Motivation and Personality.Pearson Education, Delhi, India1987
- Sociotechnical principles for system design.Appl Ergon. 2000; 31: 463-477
- Work system design for patient safety: The SEIPS model.BMJ Qual Saf. 2006; 15: 150-158
- Clinical workflow analysis, process redesign, and quality improvement.in: Finnell J.T. Dixon B.E. Clinical Informatics Study Guide. Springer International Publishing, New York2016
- Organizational readiness to change assessment (ORCA): Development of an instrument based on the Promoting Action on Research in Health Services (PARIHS) framework.Implement Sci. 2009; 4: 38
- Agile implementation.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2019; 20: 795-797
- Agile implementation: A blueprint for implementing evidence-based healthcare solutions.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2018; 66: 1372-1376
- Evaluating the impact of health promotion programs: Using the RE-AIM framework to form summary measures for decision making involving complex issues.Health Educ Res. 2006; 21: 688-694
- A practical, robust implementation and sustainability model (PRISM) for integrating research findings into practice.Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2008; 34: 228-243
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. QAPI description. 2016; 42 CFR x 483.75(o). Available at: https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Provider-Enrollment-and-Certification/QAPI/qapidefinition.html. Accessed December 18, 2017.
© 2021 AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.