Setting and Participants
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- ACCF/AHA 2011 expert consensus document on hypertension in the elderly: A report of the American college of cardiology foundation task force on clinical expert consensus documents.Circulation. 2011; 123: 2434-2506
- 2013 ESH/ESC guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension: The task force for the management of arterial hypertension of the European society of hypertension (ESH) and of the European society of cardiology (ESC).Eur Heart J. 2013; 34: 2159-2219
- Pharmacologic treatment of hypertension in adults aged 60 years or older to higher versus lower blood pressure targets: A clinical practice guideline from the American college of physicians and the American academy of family physicians.Ann Intern Med. 2017; 166: 430-437
- Choosing wisely: Helping physicians and patients make smart decisions about their care.JAMA. 2012; 307: 1801-1802
- Polypharmacy among adults aged 65 years and older in the United States: 1988-2010.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2015; 70: 989-995
- Withdrawal of antihypertensive drugs in older people.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020; 6: CD012572
- Rates of deintensification of blood pressure and glycemic medication treatment based on levels of control and life expectancy in older patients with diabetes mellitus.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 1942-1949
- Antihypertensive drug deintensification and recurrent falls in long-term care.Health Serv Res. 2018; 53: 4066-4086
- Antihypertensive deprescribing in older adult Veterans at end of life admitted to Veteran Affairs nursing homes.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 132-140.e135
- Identifying CLC Stays in CDW. The Researcher's Notebook; no. 12.VA Information Resource Center, Hines, IL2018
- Available at:)https://www.hsrd.research.va.gov/for_researchers/vinci/cdw.cfmDate accessed: July 2, 2021 (
- A primer and comparative review of major US mortality databases.Ann Epidemiol. 2002; 12: 462-468
- Database and informatics support for QUERI: Current systems and future needs. Quality Enhancement Research Initiative.Med Care. 2000; 38: I114-I128
- Veterans Health Administration inpatient and outpatient care data: An overview.Eff Clin Pract. 2002; 5: E4
- Coding algorithms for defining comorbidities in ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 administrative data.Med Care. 2005; 43: 1130-1139
- The Minimum data Set 3.0 cognitive function Scale.Med Care. 2017; 55: e68-e72
- Effect of discontinuation of antihypertensive treatment in elderly people on cognitive functioning—the DANTE study Leiden: A randomized clinical trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 1622-1630
- Effect of antihypertensive medication reduction vs usual care on short-term blood pressure control in patients with hypertension aged 80 years and older: The OPTIMISE randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2020; 323: 2039-2051
This research was funded by the National Institute on Aging (NIA) (R56AG055576, RF1AG062568). M.A.S.'s effort was supported in part by the NIA (R24AG064025, K24AG049057), S.J.L.’s effort was supported in part by VA HSR&D (IIR 15-434) and NIA (R01AG057751). Z.A.M.’s effort was supported in part by NIA (K76AG059929). C.A.P.'s effort was supported in part by an American Heart Association Established Investigator Award. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health or the Veteran Health Association.
C.A.P. serves as the Chief Medical Officer for Cricket Health, Inc. M.C.O. serves as a consultant for Cricket Health, Inc. M.A.S. and S.J.L. receive honoraria as authors on UpToDate. The remaining authors declare no conflicts of interest.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
December 2021 Issue: Full-Time Nursing Home Practice / Deprescribing / Pain Management / Ventilators
Featuring Dr. Philip Sloane, Dr. Mallory Brown; Recorded: December 8, 2021.