As persons develop multimorbidity and functional impairment, management of individual diseases must be modified to take into account the impact of the person's other conditions on function, prognosis, life priorities, and goals of care.
1In this context, the management of diabetes mellitus in older persons with multiple medical problems, functional impairments, and psychosocial issues, such as nursing home residents, requires approaches that often differ from standard diabetes care as practiced in hospitals and community settings and is generally recommended by primary care physicians and endocrinologists. Until all medical specialties are better “geriatricized,” differences between traditional care and geriatric-appropriate care will continue to arise, and it will be the task of persons who focus on geriatric and long-term care medicine to more appropriately tailor goals, treatment, and monitoring to each unique patient.
- Barnett K.
- Mercer S.W.
- Norbury M.
- et al.
Epidemiology of multimorbidity and implications for health care, research, and medical education: A cross-sectional study.
Lancet. 2012; 380: 37-43
Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on the Future Health Care Workforce for Older Americans
Retooling for an Aging America: Building the Health Care Workforce.
Retooling for an Aging America: Building the Health Care Workforce.
National Academies Press (US), Washington, DC2008
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Epidemiology of multimorbidity and implications for health care, research, and medical education: A cross-sectional study.Lancet. 2012; 380: 37-43
- Retooling for an Aging America: Building the Health Care Workforce.National Academies Press (US), Washington, DC2008
- Hypoglycemia in older adults: Time trends and treatment differences in patients aged ≥75 years with type 2 diabetes.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 1898-1905
- Potential overtreatment and undertreatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus in long-term care facilities: A systematic review.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 1889-1897
- Development and evaluation of a patient-centered quality indicator for the appropriateness of type 2 diabetes management.BMJ Open Diabetes Res Care. 2020; 8: e001878
- Two-year follow-up of a multimodal intervention on functional capacity and muscle power in frail patients with type 2 diabetes.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 1906-1911
- Diabetes and prediabetes inhibit reversion from mild cognitive impairment to normal cognition.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 1912-1918
- American Diabetes Association position statement: Evidence-based nutrition principles and recommendations for the treatment and prevention of diabetes and related complications.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 109-118
- Practice paper of the American Dietetic Association: Individualized nutrition approaches for older adults in health care communities.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 1554-1563
- Frailty and sarcopenia - newly emerging and high impact complications of diabetes.J Diabetes Complications. 2017; 31: 1465-1473
- Nutrition management in older adults with diabetes: A review on the importance of shifting prevention strategies from metabolic syndrome to frailty.Nutrients. 2020; 12: 3367
- The many faces of diabetes: A disease with increasing heterogeneity.Lancet. 2014; 383: 1084-1094
- Family history of type 1 and type 2 diabetes and risk of latent autoimmune diabetes in adults (LADA).Diabetes Metab. 2017; 43: 536-542
- Challenges and strategies for managing diabetes in the elderly in long-term care settings.Diabetes Spectr. 2020; 33: 236-245
- Management of diabetes in long-term care and skilled nursing facilities: A position statement of the American Diabetes Association.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: 308-318
- Potential overtreatment of diabetes mellitus in older adults with tight glycemic control.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 356-362
- Hypoglycaemia in older home-dwelling people with diabetes—a scoping review.BMC Geriatr. 2021; 21: 20
- Severe hypoglycemia risk with long-acting insulin analogs vs neutral protamine hagedorn insulin.JAMA Intern Med. 2021; 181: 598-607
- 12. Older adults: Standards of medical care in diabetes-2020.Diabetes Care. 2020; 43: S152-S162
- Older adults: Standards of medical care in diabetes—2021.Diabetes Care. 2021; 44: S168-S179
- Impact of glycemic control on daily living activities over 1-year follow-up in memory clinic patients with diabetes.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2019; 20: 792-794
- A liberalized approach to diets for diabetes in long term care.Director. 2002; 10 (136): 132-133
- The “surprise question” for predicting death in seriously ill patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis.CMAJ. 2017; 189: E484-E493
- Diabetes and frailty: An expert consensus statement on the management of older adults with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Ther. 2021; 12: 1227-1247
- Sliding-scale insulin used for blood glucose control: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Metabolism. 2015; 64: 1183-1192
- New IDF guideline for managing type 2 diabetes in older people.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2014; 103: 538-540
- Improving the American Diabetes Association Framework for individualizing treatment in older adults: Evaluating life expectancy.BMJ Open Diabetes Res Care. 2020; 8: e001624
- Values informing the development of an indicator of appropriate diabetes therapy: Qualitative study.BMJ Open. 2020; 10: e044395
- A randomized trial of alerting to low glycated hemoglobin level in older adults: Results of the Low Indexes of Metabolism Intervention Trial B (LIMIT-B).J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2020; 21: 277-280.e3
- Pitfalls in hemoglobin A1c measurement: When results may be misleading.J Gen Intern Med. 2014; 29: 388-394
- Position of the American Dietetic Association: Liberalization of the diet prescription improves quality of life for older adults in long-term care.J Am Diet Assoc. 2005; 105: 1955-1965
- Relationship-centered mealtime training program demonstrates efficacy to improve the dining environment in long-term care.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 1933-1938
- A successful diabetes management model of care in long-term care facilities.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 1322-1326.e2
- Response and adherence of nursing home residents to a nutrition/exercise intervention.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 1939-1945
- Improving evidence-based oral health of nursing home residents through coaching by dental hygienists.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2020; 21: 281-283
- Improving nursing home residents' oral hygiene: Results of a cluster randomized intervention trial.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 1086-1091
- Palliative and end-of-life care: Vital aspects of holistic diabetes care of older people with diabetes.Diabetes Spectr. 2020; 33: 246-254
- Diabetes management in the elderly.Diabetes Spectr. 2018; 31: 245-253
- Challenges of diabetes care in older people with type 2 diabetes and the role of basal insulin.Clin Diabetes. 2019; 37: 357-367
- Insulin glargine 300 U/mL is associated with less weight gain while maintaining glycemic control and low risk of hypoglycemia compared with insulin glargine 100 U/mL in an aging population with type 2 diabetes.Endocr Pract. 2018; 24: 143-149
- Optimizing insulin delivery for patients with diabetes.Geriatr Nurs. 2018; 39: 138-142
- Diabetes Management in the long-term care setting: Clinical Practice Guideline.American Medical Directors Association, Columbia, MD2015
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
© 2021 AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
September 21, 2021
September 2021 Issue: Individualizing Diabetes Care in Persons with Multimorbidity
Featuring Dr. Philip Sloane, Dr. Mallory Brown, Dr. Naushira Pandya. Recorded: September 23, 2021.