In this issue of The Journal of the American Medical Directors Association (JAMDA), Voelker and colleagues present the results of a systematic review and meta-analysis measuring the reliability and concurrent validity of the SARC-F.
1The study reports data gathered from 29 articles and more than 20,000 participants. Overall, the SARC-F shows relatively good inter-rater and test-retest reliability. However, the authors conclude that despite its high specificity, the low to moderate sensitivity of the SARC-F makes it nonoptimal for the screening of sarcopenia. Moreover, Voelker and colleagues tend to discourage the use of the SARC-F, suggesting the direct application of the diagnostic criteria for sarcopenia without prior screening.
- Voelker S.N.
- Michalopoulos N.
- Maier A.B.
- Reijnierse E.M.
Reliability and concurrent validity of the SARC-F and its modified versions: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 1864-1876
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Reliability and concurrent validity of the SARC-F and its modified versions: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 1864-1876
- SARC-F for screening of sarcopenia among older adults: A meta-analysis of screening test accuracy.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 685-689
- Sarcopenia is recognized as an independent condition by an International Classification of Disease, Tenth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-10-CM) code.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2016; 17: 675-677
- Implications of ICD-10 for sarcopenia clinical practice and clinical trials: Report by the International Conference on Frailty and Sarcopenia Research Task Force.J Frailty Aging. 2018; 7: 2-9
- Sarcopenia the new geriatric giant: Time to translate research findings into clinical practice.Age Ageing. 2014; 43: 736-737
- Sarcopenia: An emerging giant greater than osteoporosis.Ann Geriatr Med Res. 2016; 20: 167
- Biomarkers of sarcopenia in clinical trials-recommendations from the International Working Group on Sarcopenia.J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2012; 3: 181-190
- Sarcopenia definition: The position statements of the Sarcopenia Definition and Outcomes Consortium.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020; 68: 1410-1418
- Sarcopenia: Revised European consensus on definition and diagnosis.Age Ageing. 2019; 48: 16-31
- Asian Working Group for Sarcopenia: 2019 consensus update on sarcopenia diagnosis and treatment.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2020; 21: 300-307.e2
- Sarcopenia in daily practice: Assessment and management.BMC Geriatr. 2016; 16: 170
- Update on the ESCEO recommendation for the conduct of clinical trials for drugs aiming at the treatment of sarcopenia in older adults.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2021; 33: 3-17
- Investigating sarcopenia awareness using Google Trends.J Frailty Sarcopenia Falls. 2021; 6: 32-35
- Sarcopenia: Its assessment, etiology, pathogenesis, consequences and future perspectives.J Nutr Health Aging. 2008; 12: 433-450
- SARC-F: A simple questionnaire to rapidly diagnose sarcopenia.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: 531-532
- Rapid geriatric assessment: A tool for primary care physicians.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017; 18: 195-199
- A 3-item SARC-F.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 223-228
- SARC-F: A symptom score to predict persons with sarcopenia at risk for poor functional outcomes.J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2016; 7: 28-36
M.C. reported receiving personal fees from Nestlé. Emanuele Marzetti reported receiving personal fees from Abbott, Nestlè, Nutricia, and Thermo Fisher. R.C. reported receiving personal fees from Abbott and Nutricia.
© 2021 Published by Elsevier Inc. on behalf of AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.