Setting and Participants
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Core elements of Antibiotic Stewardship for Nursing Homes.(Available at:)http://www.cdc.gov/longtermcare/prevention/antibiotic-stewardship.htmlDate accessed: January 26, 2021
- Federal Register: The Daily Journal of the United States Government. Medicare and Medicaid Programs; Reform of Requirements for Long-Term Care Facilities.(Available at:)https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/10/04/2016-23503/medicare-and-medicaid-programs-reform-of-requirements-for-long-term-care-facilitiesDate accessed: January 27, 2021
- Survey of antimicrobial stewardship practices in Nebraska long-term care facilities.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2011; 32: 732-734
- Antimicrobial stewardship practices in Michigan long-term care facilities.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016; 37: 236-237
- Template for an antibiotic stewardship policy for post-acute and long-term care settings.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017; 18: 913-920
- Implementing an Antibiotic Stewardship Program: Guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 62: e51-e77
- Electronic health records use and barriers and benefits to use in skilled nursing facilities.Comput Inform Nurs. 2013; 31: 305-318
- Nursing home implementation of health information technology: Review of the literature finds inadequate investment in preparation, infrastructure, and training.Inquiry. 2018; 55 (46958018778902)
- Optimizing antibiotic stewardship in nursing homes: A narrative review and recommendations for improvement.Drugs Aging. 2015; 32: 699-716
- Implementing Antimicrobial Stewardship in long-term care settings: An integrative review using a human factors approach.Clin Infect Dis. 2017; 65: 1943-1951
- Infectious diseases in older adults of long-term care facilities: Update on approach to diagnosis and management.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2018; 66: 789-803
Crnich CJ, Ford J, Ramly E, et al. Improving antibiotic use in nursing homes through delayed action protocols and antibiotic review: Results of a multi-center controlled clinical trial. Paper presented at: Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America 2019 Spring Meeting; Boston, MA; April 2019.
Ramly E, Ford J, Nace D, et al. Reducing unnecessary use of antibiotics in nursing homes with a pre-prescribing communication and decision support tool for nurses: A mixed-methods pilot study. Paper presented at: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality 2015 Research Conference; Crystal City, VA; October 2015.
- Development of minimum criteria for the initiation of antibiotics in residents of long-term-care facilities: Results of a consensus conference.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2001; 22: 120-124
- Potential utility of pharmacy data to measure antibiotic use in nursing homes.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2019; 40: 819-820
- Effectiveness of interventions targeting antibiotic use in long-term aged care facilities: A systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ Open. 2020; 10: e028494
- Interventions to improve appropriate antibiotic prescribing in long-term care facilities: A systematic review.BMC Geriatr. 2020; 20: 237
- SBAR Tool: Situation-Background-Assessment-Recommendation.(Available at:)http://www.ihi.org/resources/Pages/Tools/SBARToolkit.aspxDate accessed: May 17, 2021
Robin Jump is principal investigator on research grants from Pfizer and Accelerate; she has also participated in advisory boards for Pfizer and Merck. Stefan Gravenstein is principal investigator on research grants supported by Sanofi, Seqirus, Sunovion, and Pfizer and consultant to Sanofi and Janssen. The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
Host: Dr. Karl Steinberg. Featuring Dr. Philip Sloane, Dr. Mallory Brown, special guest: Josh Niznik, PharmD. Recorded on May 25, 2022.