Setting and Participants
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Grip strength across the life course: normative data from twelve British studies.PloS One. 2014; 9: e113637
- Age-associated changes in skeletal muscles and their effect on mobility: an operational diagnosis of sarcopenia.J Appl Physiol. 2003; 95: 1851-1860
- Frailty in older adults evidence for a phenotype.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001; 56: M146-M157
- Hand-grip strength: normative reference values and equations for individuals 18 to 85 years of age residing in the United States.J Orthopaed Sports Phys Ther. 2018; 48: 685-693
- Sex- and age-specific normative values for handgrip strength and components of the senior fitness test in community-dwelling older adults aged 65-75 years in Germany: results from the OUTDOOR ACTIVE study.BMC Geriatr. 2021; 21: 273
- Absolute and body mass index normalized handgrip strength percentiles by gender, ethnicity, and hand dominance in Americans.Adv Geriatr Med Res. 2020; 2: 1-36
- How should adult handgrip strength be normalized? Allometry reveals new insights and associated reference curves.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2022; 54: 162-168
- Maximum grip strength is not related to bone mineral density of the proximal femur in older adults.Calcified Tissue Int. 1999; 64: 291-294
- Normalizing handgrip strength in older adults: an allometric approach.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2017; 70: 230-234
- Allometric analysis of physical performance measures in older adults.Phys Ther. 2006; 86: 1263-1270
- Cut-off points of knee extension strength allometrically adjusted to identify sarcopenia risk in older adults: a cross-sectional study.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2020; 89: 104100
- Normalizing calf circumference to identify low skeletal muscle mass in older women: a cross-sectional study.Nutr Hosp. 2021; 38: 7
WHO. WHO Study on Global AGEing and Adult Health (SAGE). http://www.who.int/healthinfo/sage/en/. Accessed January 17, 2022.
- Data Resource Profile: The World Health Organization Study on global AGEing and adult health (SAGE).Int J Epidemiol. 2012; 41: 1639-1649
- Hand grip strength and associated factors in non-institutionalised men and women 50 years and older in South Africa.BMC Res Notes. 2014; 7: 8
- Identification of sarcopenia components that discriminate slow walking speed: a pooled data analysis.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020; 68: 1419-1428
- Development of the world health organization global physical activity questionnaire (GPAQ).J Public Health. 2006; 14: 66-70
- Statistics corner: a guide to appropriate use of correlation coefficient in medical research.Malawi Med J. 2012; 24: 69-71
- Velocidade da marcha, força de preensão e saúde percebida em idosos: dados da rede FIBRA Campinas, São Paulo, Brasil.Ciência Saúde Coletiva. 2014; 19: 3343-3353
- Prevalência de fragilidade e fatores associados em idosos comunitários de Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brasil: dados do estudo FIBRA.Cadernos de Saúde Pública. 2013; 29: 1631-1643
- Metodologia e perfil sociodemográfico, cognitivo e de fragilidade de idosos comunitários de sete cidades brasileiras: Estudo FIBRA.Cadernos de Saúde Pública. 2013; 29: 778-792
- Handgrip strength cutoff points to identify mobility limitation in community-dwelling older people and associated factors.J Nutr Health Aging. 2016; 20: 306-315
- Prevalence and factors associated with frailty in an older population from the city of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: the FIBRA-RJ Study.Clinics (Sao Paulo, Brazil). 2013; 68: 979-985
- Sarcopenia Characteristics Are Associated with Incident Mobility Limitations in African Caribbean Men: The Tobago Longitudinal Study of Aging.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2020; 75: 1346-1352
- Sarcopenia: revised European consensus on definition and diagnosis.Age Ageing. 2018; 48: 16-31
- Global variation in grip strength: a systematic review and meta-analysis of normative data.Age Ageing. 2016; 45: 209-216
- Lower extremity muscle strength does not independently predict proximal femur bone mineral density in healthy older adults.Bone. 2002; 30: 515-520
This work was supported by the CNPq – Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico [through PhD scholarship (142248/2018–5) to P.P.A.], CAPES – Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior [finance Code 001 and through PhD scholarship (88887.593242/2020-00) to P.P.A. and 88887.371516/2019-00 to D.R.L.M.], and by National Funds by FCT - Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (CIAFEL: FCTUID/DTP/00617/2020 and ITR: LA/P/0064/2020). The funding body had no role in the design of the study and collection, analysis, and interpretation of data and in writing the manuscript.
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.