Setting and Participants
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Functional decline in older patients with cancer receiving chemotherapy: a multicenter prospective study.J Geriatr Oncol. 2017; 8: 196-205
- Deterioration of basic activities of daily living and their impact on quality of life across different cognitive stages of dementia: a European study.Int Psychogeriatr. 2014; 26: 1283-1293
- Dynamics of functional aging based on latent-class trajectories of activities of daily living.Ann Epidemiol. 2013; 23: 87-92
- Functional impairment and hospital readmission in Medicare seniors.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 559-565
- The impact of disability and social determinants of health on condition-specific readmissions beyond medicare risk adjustments: a cohort study.J Gen Intern Med. 2017; 32: 71-80
- Prevalence of functional disability in activities of daily living (ADL), instrumental activities of daily living (IADL) and associated factors, as predictors of morbidity and mortality.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2010; 50: 306-310
- Functional impairment, symptom burden, and clinical outcomes among hospitalized patients with advanced cancer.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2020; 18: 747-754
- Assessment of activity of daily living among older adult patients in home healthcare and skilled nursing facilities: an integrative review.Home Healthc Now. 2017; 35: 258-267
- Trends in post-acute care use among Medicare beneficiaries: 2000 to 2015.JAMA. 2018; 319: 1616-1617
- Outcomes of patients with cancer discharged to a skilled nursing facility after acute care hospitalization.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2020; 18: 856-865
- Overview of the SEER Program.https://seer.cancer.gov/about/overview.htmlDate accessed: March 20, 2020
- New opportunities for cancer health services research: linking the SEER-Medicare data to the nursing home minimum data set.Med Care. 2018; 56: e90-e96
- Sensitivity and specificity of the Minimum Data Set 3.0 discharge data relative to Medicare claims.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014; 15: 819-824
- The accuracy of Minimum Data Set diagnoses in describing recent hospitalization at acute care facilities.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2006; 7: 212-218
- The validity of the minimum data set in measuring the cognitive impairment of persons admitted to nursing homes.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2000; 48: 1601-1606
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Legacy Medicare Provider Utilization and Payment Data: Skilled Nursing Facilities.
- Functional improvement among short-stay nursing home residents in the MDS 3.0.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015; 16: 470-474
- Overview of significant changes in the Minimum Data Set for nursing homes version 3.0.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2012; 13: 595-601
- SEER-Medicare: Medicare Enrollment and Claims Data.https://healthcaredelivery.cancer.gov/seermedicare/medicare/Date accessed: March 20, 2020
- SEER-Medicare: How the SEER and Medicare Data are Linked.https://healthcaredelivery.cancer.gov/seermedicare/overview/linked.htmlDate accessed: March 20, 2020
- Scaling ADLs within the MDS.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 1999; 54: M546-M553
- Chronic Conditions Data Warehouse.https://www.ccwdata.org/web/guest/condition-categoriesDate accessed: March 20, 2020
- Rehabbed to Death.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 408-409
- The effect of state policies on nursing home resident outcomes.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011; 59: 3-9
- Improvement in activities of daily living during a nursing home stay and one-year mortality among older adults with sepsis.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2021; 69: 938-945
- Effects of multidisciplinary integrated care on quality of care in residential care facilities for elderly people: a cluster randomized trial.CMAJ. 2011; 183: E724-E732
- A need for more palliative focused care: a survey of Colorado skilled care facilities.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015; 16: 712-713
- Palliative care for the seriously ill.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 747-755
- Early palliative care for lung cancer: improving quality of life and increasing survival.Int J Palliat Nurs. 2010; 16: 420-423
- Hospital-based palliative care consultation: effects on hospital cost.J Palliat Med. 2010; 13: 973-979
- Integration of palliative care into standard oncology care: American Society of Clinical Oncology Clinical Practice Guideline Update.J Clin Oncol. 2017; 35: 96-112
- Outcomes of patients discharged to skilled nursing facilities after acute care hospitalizations.Ann Surg. 2016; 263: 280-285
This research was supported by the National Palliative Care Research Center Kornfeld Scholar Award and by the National Cancer Institute, United States grant number P30CA046934, University of Colorado Cancer Center Core Support Grant. Analyses were completed by the Population Health Shared Resource ( P30CA046934 ).
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.