Setting and Participants
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Rise of post-acute care facilities as a discharge destination of us hospitalizations.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 295-296
- Access to postacute rehabilitation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007; 88: 1488-1493
- Disparities in stroke rehabilitation: results of a study in an integrated health system in Northern California.PM&R. 2009; 1: 29-40
- Trends in postacute care use and outcomes after hip and knee replacements in dual-eligible Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries, 2013-2016.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3: e200368
- How much is postacute care use affected by its availability?.Health Serv Res. 2005; 40: 413-434
- Patient outcomes after hospital discharge to home with home health care vs to a skilled nursing facility.JAMA Intern Med. 2019; 179: 617-623
- Medicare Shared Savings Program Accountable Care Organization participants.https://data.cms.gov/medicare-shared-savings-program/accountable-care-organization-participants/data/december-2016Date: 2016Date accessed: June 23, 2022
- Measure methodology.https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/HospitalQualityInits/Measure-MethodologyDate accessed: June 23, 2022
- Comparison of Medicare spending and outcomes for beneficiaries with lower extremity joint replacements.Medpac report WR-271. RAND, Santa Monica, CA2005
- Discharge destination after total joint arthroplasty: an analysis of postdischarge outcomes, placement risk factors, and recent trends.J Arthroplasty. 2016; 31: 1155-1162
- Hospital characteristics associated with risk-standardized readmission rates.Med Care. 2017; 55: 528-534
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med Care. 1998; 36: 8-27
- Medicare disproportionate share hospital (DSH).https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/AcuteInpatientPPS/dsh.htmlDate accessed: June 23, 2022
- Hospital compare data archive.https://data.cms.gov/provider-data/archived-data/hospitalsDate accessed: June 23, 2022
- CMS impact file hospital inpatient prospective payment system (IPPS).http://www.nber.org/data/cms-impact-file-hospital-inpatient-prospective-payment-system-ipps.htmlDate accessed: June 23, 2022
- Provider of services current files.https://data.cms.gov/provider-characteristics/hospitals-and-other-facilities/provider-of-services-file-hospital-non-hospital-facilitiesDate accessed: June 23, 2022
- Changes in use of post-acute care associated with accountable care organizations in hip fracture, stroke, and pneumonia hospitalized cohorts.Med Care. 2019; 57: 444
- The Medicare shared savings program and outcomes for ischemic stroke patients: a retrospective cohort study.J Gen Internal Med. 2019; 34: 2740-2748
- Changes in post-acute care in the Medicare Shared Savings Program.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 518-526
- Medicare Shared Savings Program and readmission rate among patients with ischemic stroke.Neurology. 2020; 95: e1071-e1079
- Institutional post-acute care use may help reduce readmissions for ischemic stroke patients.Med Care. 2021; 59: 736-742
- Post-acute care after joint replacement in Medicare's bundled payments for care improvement initiative.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019; 67: 1027-1035
- The role of social, cognitive, and functional risk factors in Medicare spending for dual and nondual enrollees.Health affairs (Project Hope). 2019; 38: 569-576
- Variation in the risk of readmission among hospitals: the relative contribution of patient, hospital and inpatient provider characteristics.J Gen Intern Med. 2014; 29: 572-578
This study is funded by grant R01MD012422 from the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities of the US National Institutes of Health.
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.