Setting and participants
Conclusions and implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Sarcopenia.Lancet. 2019; 393: 2636-2646
- Muscle, Health and Costs: A Glance at their Relationship.J Nutr Health Aging. 2018; 22: 766-773
- Sarcopenia and hospitalisation costs in older adults: a cross-sectional study.Nutr Diet. 2017; 74: 46-50
- Incidence of certified need of care in the long-term care insurance system and its risk factors in the elderly of Japanese population-based cohorts: the ROAD study.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2014; 14: 695-701
- Validation of the SarQoL(R), a specific health-related quality of life questionnaire for Sarcopenia.J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2017; 8: 238-244
- Comparative performance of current definitions of sarcopenia against the prospective incidence of falls among community-dwelling seniors age 65 and older.Osteoporos Int. 2015; 26: 2793-2802
- Sarcopenia: revised European consensus on definition and diagnosis.Age Ageing. 2019; 48: 16-31
- Validation of the FNIH sarcopenia criteria and SOF frailty index as predictors of long-term mortality in ambulatory older men.Age Ageing. 2016; 45: 602-608
- Sarcopenia and physical independence in older adults: the independent and synergic role of muscle mass and muscle function.J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2017; 8: 245-250
- Sarcopenia: A Time for Action. An SCWD Position Paper.J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2019; 10: 956-961
- The FNIH sarcopenia project: rationale, study description, conference recommendations, and final estimates.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2014; 69: 547-558
- Asian Working Group for Sarcopenia: 2019 Consensus Update on Sarcopenia Diagnosis and Treatment.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2020; 21: 300-307.e2
- Differences in handgrip strength protocols to identify sarcopenia and frailty - a systematic review.BMC Geriatr. 2016; 17: 238
- Reference ranges of handgrip strength from 125,462 healthy adults in 21 countries: a prospective urban rural epidemiologic (PURE) study.J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2016; 7: 535-546
- The effect of posture on maximum grip strength measurements.J Clin Densitom. 2021; 24: 638-644
- Handgrip strength: Should repeated measurements be performed in both hands?.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2021; 21: 426-432
- Minimal clinically important difference for grip strength: a systematic review.J Phys Ther Sci. 2019; 31: 75-78
- Handgrip Strength: A Comparison of Values Obtained From the NHANES and NIH Toolbox Studies.Am J Occup Ther. 2019; 73 (7302205080p1-p9)
- A review of the measurement of grip strength in clinical and epidemiological studies: towards a standardised approach.Age Ageing. 2011; 40: 423-429
- Handgrip Strength Asymmetry and Weakness Are Associated with Lower Cognitive Function: A Panel Study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020; 68: 2051-2058
- Handgrip Strength Asymmetry and Weakness Together Are Associated With Functional Disability in Aging Americans.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2021; 76: 291-296
- The Associations of Handgrip Strength and Leg Extension Power Asymmetry on Incident Recurrent Falls and Fractures in Older Men.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2021; 76: e221-e227
- Handgrip Strength Asymmetry Is Associated With Limitations in Individual Basic Self-Care Tasks.J Appl Gerontol. 2022; 41: 450-454
- Handgrip Strength Asymmetry and Weakness May Accelerate Time to Mortality in Aging Americans.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2020; 21: 2003-2007.e1
- Minimal Clinically Important Difference of Grip and Pinch Strength in Women With Thumb Carpometacarpal Osteoarthritis When Compared to Healthy Subjects.Rehabil Nurs. 2017; 42: 139-145
- Handgrip Weakness and Asymmetry Independently Predict the Development of New Activity Limitations: Results from Analyses of Longitudinal Data from the US Health and Retirement Study.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 821-826.e1
- Recommendations for Reducing Heterogeneity in Handgrip Strength Protocols.J Frailty Aging. 2022; 11: 143-150
- Assessment of maximal handgrip strength: how many attempts are needed?.J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2017; 8: 466-474
- A Systematic Review of Handgrip Strength Measurement in Clinical and Epidemiological Studies of Kidney Disease: Toward a Standardized Approach.J Ren Nutr. 2022; 32: 371-381
- Association between handgrip strength asymmetry and falls in elderly Koreans: A nationwide population-based cross-sectional study.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2021; 96: 104470
- Are we maximizing the utility of handgrip strength assessments for evaluating muscle function?.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2021; 33: 1721-1723
- The impact of variation in the device used to measure grip strength on the identification of low muscle strength: Findings from a randomised cross-over study.J Frailty Sarcopenia Falls. 2021; 6: 225-230
Publication stageIn Press Uncorrected Proof
Xiaoyan Chen and Gongxiang Liu contributed equally to this work.
This research was supported by the National Key R&D Program of China (grant numbers: 2018YFC2002405 and 2018YFC2002103 ). The funders had no role in the design, conduct, collection, management, analysis, or interpretation of the data, nor in drafting, reviewing, approving the manuscript, or deciding to publish this study.
The study protocol was approved by the Biomedical Ethics Committee of West China Hospital, Sichuan University (number: 2020–555). All participants provided written informed consent. This study was performed in accordance with the 1964 Declaration of Helsinki and its amendments.
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.